Tires,Tires,Tires

I have been running a brand new Maxxis IT tire for about 3 weeks now and its close to 1/2 worn out allready.I'm not that aggressive of a rider so I'm wondering what tire would give me the best possible wear.I was told the maxxis was a good tire for wear but was hoping to get a season out of a tire at least.

Really going to depend on terrain and riding style. Strokediesel mentioned 756. I have no idea what the trails/tracks are like where he rides in WA. Trail riding here in AZ, all we have are rocks. Some are boulders, some are crumbly soft decomposing granite, some are solid embedded sharp edged granite, some are sand--oh endless deep sand; some are loose bowling ball rocks on top of other loose rocks; ect.

Back to the 756. I love that tire out here...for traction. Works fantastic for me and my riding style. But, I'll only get 3 or 4 40+ mile ST rides out of one. Most of the MX tires are very similar to the 756. The harder type tires, like the Maxxis IT lasts about twice as long, but it's a compromise in traction. Dunlop 739 lasts similar for me and has similar traction issues. Pirelli MT18...similar.

Guys from the Midwest are always shocked when they ride here because most of them are use to running a rear for a whole season. They have actual dirt there though. Nothing lasts very long on our terrain. I've run just about every one's "favorite" rear tire out here and they all have their ups and downs. For me, I'll run anything on the rear that has knobs. They all work about the same for trail riding and they last for 3 to 8 rides. The ones with the best traction...last the least amount of time. The ones that last the longest...are less desirable (but fine) for traction.

The best thing you can do is to ask the local riders (who've been around a long time) what they run and the pro's and con's they've experienced.

Fronts are a different story. There are only a few I like. And they last about twice as long as the rears. So, I'm still changing fronts a few times a season.

ive got a set of maxxis it on now that replaced my dunlops (don't remember the series) and im not impressed with the life of either.

but thats not the tires fault.

when i trail ride the the terrain is rock rock and more rock..

when im in my pasture its wet grass and, unless i have made a rut, traction is a myth.

As i don't MX and have no need for winning a hole shot, my next set will be a trials type type with the hardest durometer i can find !

i have tried the maxxiss si, it, dit, pirelli scorpion pro, dunlop 739, 756, 742, mx51, and a michilin trials tire. except for the trials, the maxxis dit lasted the longest, but i dont like the tire in traction and handling, the dunlops have always treated me well, but are more money and wear quick, the pirelli was pretty good in all aspects, all maxxis fronts suk in a bad way. the trials was awesome except in turns, and it made the bike handle different, makes it reluctant to lean over, and doesnt like flat corners at speed.

I've had good results with the IRC Volcanduro, VE-33. Thats what I have on my YZ. I have a Dunlop 756 on my KDX but it came on the bike so I can't compare tread life but traction is similar. I'm going to a trials tire next and expect that will be the end of my tire search.

You might want to try the MT43. If you do a lot of high speed on that small stone and asphalt you might destroy some of the softer trials tires, but the DOT MT43 wears excellent, and performs nearly to the level of the competition trials tires. I'm guessing I have well over 1,000 miles on mine at this point.

• 10 years later...