O/T Open Letter From Travis P

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree Knopey. It is certainly a testiment to his personality. It's a shame that he will probably get crucified through litigation, but he certainly sounds like he is stepping up to take the pain for his mistake. I would imagine this is just the start.

I hope all involved keep strong and get back on track with their lives. You sure can feel for him now that you know he has fully realised his actions.

Cheers,

jd

I agree with the immature bit, but I really think he is just a kid trying to deal with it and he doesn't know how. He should probably have listened to the people telling him not to write it.

Then again he made me think that this might be something that he takes on board and helps shape him into a better person. ๐Ÿ™‚ Of course I am not a lawyer for the opposition.

Cheers,

jd

How does it make him more of an idiot? ๐Ÿ™‚

There may or may not have been a deer, we'll never know. But he's not blaming the crash on it he's taking the responsibility himself so in the end he has no reaosn to lie about it really.

How does it make him more of an idiot? ๐Ÿ™‚

Well, for starters... "I understand now what an idiot I have been".

and...

"It seemed impossible to me that I could ever be in a position to hurt someone"

"I made the huge mistake of not only deciding to drive, but also asking them if someone wanted to race around with me."

"It was late but not late enough, as we passed a car about every five miles."

...it just goes on and on.

He might feel bad but I dont believe the deer part. We all know what happens

when someone tries to show off, usually bad things. Quite the coincedence that

the deer was right near the jump that "you can get air on"...

I agree with gvct, passing cars, going well over your limits on the street, etc...

We can all say he is just a kid, but this activity should done on a track in

a controlled enviornment.

I have never felt as sad or ashamed at any time in my life as I do right now.

I feel sorry for his hurt friend and his family. Putting someone else in danger is stupid...

Tragic accident and it would seem far too often the passanger is the one that gets the worst of it.

Like I said before, he is lucky a family in a minivan was not in the other lane...

:D Thing is, we have the luxury of looking at this from the perspective of hindsight. Don't we know that hindsight is 20/20?

I know where this guy comes from. Back in '73 I was with a buddy having fun in Nevada. It was well past midnight and my buddy wanted to visit a friend in another town, so we blasted off in my 'vette to this other town. Was rocking along about 100 or so when I came up over the top of this little rise to hit a cow at full blast! The ipmact tore the whole body off the vette and we wound up in a ditch off the side of the road, still strapped in the seats. I feel so D@mned lucky that neither of us was hurt beyond scrapes and scratches from flying thru the bushes on the side of the road. When I walked back to the road, I was shocked to find no evidence of an accident. All the debris was in the bushes, and the cow was about 20' from the road. No skid marks,nothing! No one would stop for us, and it was several hours before a Sheriff saw us and stopped.

Moral is: Sh!t happens fast at speed! ๐Ÿ™‚

A deer does sound convenient, but I will say in his defense that there are deer everywhere here, especially around the area where he lives. These type of accidents are always so tragic in the senselessness and avoidability, but who here has not done the very same thing. I spent many a time flying around on country roads with and without headlights!

Hindsight is such valuable asset, if only we could play it in DVD format for the up and comers who are headed down the same paths we tripped up on. A guy I knew was driving a 72 Olds 442 conv at mach speed, late at nite, country road, lonely intersection, no time to react but this one is not so happily(relative)ended. Mother of two driving big ol 69 pontiac coming home from swing shift just happened to be in the middle of that intersection at that split second,Killed her instantly. Rear passenger in 442 shot thru conv roof and flew 300 ft,DOI,front passenger in 442 slammed under dash, no bones left intact, 442 driver got some broken ribs and lost some teeth (drunk drivers never seem to get hurt).

Learn from your mistakes Travis, and use it to make the most of the charmed life you have left to live. We here at TT wish you all the best, and will keep Matt in our thoughts and prayers. Andrew

I don't know the full facts here, none of us does. But can anyone honestly say that they have never done anything stupid that put people in danger. I can't. Perhaps we have just been lucky to get away with our mistakes. Yes it was stupid, and unfortunately someone got hurt. But that doesn't make him a bad person. Hopefully Matt will recover fully and forgive him, although plenty of others won't. Especially with the blame culture in the US (and increasingly in the UK too)

Iain

Knopey is right. Travis is very courageous for writing that letter. The lawyers may not like it but he's taking responsibility for his actions when he could have easily hid behind his lawyers. I have much more respect for him now. He has a lot of integrity, especially for a man his age.

Sounds like a kid that has regrets and rightfully so.

But remember this, he has handlers, he has a publicist, he has an attorney and he still has a contract with Suzuki.

I'm a pessimist of all things until proved, I highly doubt this was not orchestrated and just a whim writeup because he felt compelled to do this.

Is there really anything in that letter that could put him in a worse legal position than he's in already? The speed, the getting air, the late at night? I don't see the "risk" of writing it.

We probably already know all this info, the tire tracks would prove he was airborn and the speed of the crash is easy to figure out.

I'm sure he was advised not to write it, but it was probably vetted by lawyers. Most important point is, it's a platform for him to say he wasn't drinking and he's sorry - key for sponsorships and future opportunities. And probably makes him feel better too...which ain't the worst thing in the world.

He'll be fine, I just wish his buddy was in as good condition.

I think he showed alot of guts writing that letter. Who gives a s*** if there really was a deer, he admits he made bad choices that nite. I imagine that there are a few of you out there that would still try and point blame some where else ๐Ÿ™‚. Cheers to Travis for owning up to his mistake. :D :D