Illegal off-roader busted, posts YouTube PSA video

Umm... so WHY was there NO TRAIL beyond the locked gate? (hey, it's the video's words, not mine). My guess is that the State failed to uphold their duty to the people to maintain the trails that our OHV funds are supposed to pay for. Keep locking those gates, and more and more people are bound to poach them.

I'm not saying that IS the situation in this case (that the state is deliberately locking gates in order to not have to maintain trails that they're otherwise obligated to maintain), but time and time again, I see this exact thing happen. I'm also not advocating trail poaching, but c'mon. Let's have some context here. This self-righteous eco-video crap isn't necessarily sending the right message to the right people. ๐Ÿ˜

I have witnessed a lot of damage to an area that me and my family members have been going to for forty years,you use to be able to drive right to the waters edge and enjoy the day,but so many people have made there own trails climbing hills off the main drag that the DNR have come down and put these giant unsightly rocks all over the place to stop the people who had to leave the trail and climb the hills.Now my area looks stupid because of irresponsible orv riding,now I will probabley have to pay 20 for a orv sticker instead of fifteen,which is not the end of the world but it adds up when you own 6 orvs.

I followed this on local TV and the video is obviously a PR piece by DNR to the wheeler community.

While WA DNR lost off road funding this biennium there is not a lot of sympathy in PNW dirt bike community toward wheelers because wheelers converted the ST in one of our prime riding areas to mud holes and silted salmon streams, this resulted in a closure of the area. It will reopen but at a fraction of its former size.

I was riding near some DNR land the other day, and found some damage to the forest too, but I did not see who did it.๐Ÿ˜

'zactly! ๐Ÿ˜

Let me guess. This wheeler was probably on the edge of the logger's clear cut that looks like a bomb just went off and has probably been torn up and grown back 3-4 times before that already. Yet the taxpayer is being fined and threatened with jail for making some mud?

why was the road closed? so the loggers that pulled him out could destroy the place?

HaHa, I thought the same thing, a logger called him in, but only after throwing his beer cans and lunch trash on the decimated forest they just clear cut while dragging trees up a hillside and wiping everything out in its path. But sure, lets call the DNR because some guy is stuck in some mud. The mud they probably just made... ๐Ÿ˜:smirk::bonk:

The environmental degradation caused by resource extraction that brings the State billions of dollars may be treated differently than that caused by a recreational visitor that must by law be considered a liability by the DNR land managers entrusted with protecting the value of our state trust lands.

Note: At this point I am not casting judgment (Iโ€™ve got my own opinions too), but just wanted to keep things in perspective as to where our reality actually lies.

Most of the loggin crews I've come across in my time could care less that I was there...provided I kept my distance from their operations. Getting your rig stuck as you try to get around a locked gate is just a 'gomer'. If I did it, I'd expect to get a ticket. Certainly not 5 days of jail, or a public humiliation. Seems to me that if this is a first time offense for the man, its cruel and definitely unusual.

Where did it say he was found by loggers? The pic in the video of the guy with the white hard hat is DNR.

And just because there might have been a logging area didn't give the guy the right to go around a locked gate. If you were remodeling your home and it was vacant while you did demo and construction work, does that give someone the right to climb your fence and be on your property?

This dude was made an example and got a unusual punishment because of all the problems Reiter folks have been causing. Memorial day weekend at Naches the rangers ran outta tickets in their ticket books and it is a fact that a bunch of them were displaced Reiter wheelers.

Maybe WE should take the offensive here ... on YouTube, as tearing up the environment is not what I signed up for ... but I also don't see a recreational 4x4'r getting backed into a judicial corner with a jury not of his peers as "right" either.

Also, I don't see the "packaging" of this by the DNR with heavy metal and inflammatory titling as "supportive of recreation" ... so maybe we need to make sure WE put some responsible posts on youtube showing the fun trail rides, incredible views and family/buddy bonding that give us a reason to participate?

The DNR communication folks clearly wanted to paint this guy ... and motorized recreation ... in this way as a "1% 'er" ... and I don't appreciate it, not with if they draw their pay check from my tax dollar.

Can we get some more of "our posts" on YouTube to counter this?

• Like 2