Got Bored at work so I drilled some holes in my sprocket.

So I ordered a new 44t sprocket for my E, thought I was ordering an aluminum one but I ordered wrong. So I thought I would throw it in the CNC and put some lightning holes in it. I put a total of 184 holes in it. I will see how it stands up but I think it should work. It is just my street gear so I think it will not get alot of abuse. Sure would like to try this to an aluminum one next time.

Before I started. The black sharpie dots are to see what it would look like.

100_0953.jpg

On the machine.

100_0957.jpg

The finished product. 184 holes later.

100_0959.jpg

Judging by the the fact that you can operate that machine I'd assume you know more about metal than myself...but I wouldn't trust that on my bike. If the sprocket failed on the highway say, around the hub...it'd be a sharp, heavy, spinning mass wrapping around things like the rear wheel or your leg.

Looks cool just saying...like the other guys, keep an eye on it and don't get hurt.

I am assuming there is a certain amount of engineering that goes into that sprocket for strength/safety.I know manufacturers dont like to waste more material than what is necessary to make a product,So I would guess the material that was relieved was there for structural purposes,maybee I am wrong and I really hope it works well for you,if it were on my bike I would always have it in the back of my mind,what if this fails when I am really pouring the coal to her.

Well I put about 60miles on it today checked it quite often. All looks good. I am keeping a sharp eye on it. I think the reason they leave so much material on it is because it is a cheap sprocket and material costs less then then it costs to remove it. I have seen some very lightened factory sprockets. By the way it looks way less scary on the bike then on the scale. I have asked a couple guys who are machinst like me and ride and we all think it should hold up fine. Lets hope.๐Ÿ˜

"material costs less then then it costs to remove it" - Huh?

Why would the manufacturer give way more material than necessary? Its hard to say how much a Manufacturer overengineers their product, but I don't think they give away material for no reason, it costs money and adds weight.

"material costs less then then it costs to remove it" - Huh?

Why would the manufacturer give way more material than necessary? Its hard to say how much a Manufacturer overengineers their product, but I don't think they give away material for no reason, it costs money and adds weight.

Because every thing they punch out is scrap anyway so i think it would cost less to leave in then to punch it out. It cost machine time to remove material. It is made from a solid disc and scrap is not worth to much. This is a thirty dollar sprocket so there cant be much room for profit.

Here is a pic on the bike.

100_0960.jpg