Oil tank screen

I plan on removing and cleaning the frame oil tank screen during my next oil change. I looked at it today and it looks like the exhaust pipe may have to come off. This of course would be a pain. Has anyone cleaned this screen yet?? How did you pull it out. I'm hoping i can get a socket in there. btw i'm not talking about the frame drain plug. I'm talking about the screen that lives in the bottom of the frame tank.

where the oil feed line goes into to the bottom of the frame there is a fitting.the fitting has screen on it.it keeps big chunks from getting into th cases and ultimately the oil pump.

once season at least it should be checked.i check mine every 6 changes.rarely find anything after the initial time.

no,thats all.on the intial inspection what is usually found is left over "junk" from when the frame was made.slag and what ever will brake loose and the screen catches.

its usually pretty scary looking,but after that the wont be much of any thing on it.

I used a 24 mm socket. I had to disconnect the line that runs from the frame to the motor because i couldn't pull the rubber line down far enough to get it to come off. Lots of scary looking metal bits. Screen was relatively clean tho. Plenty of screen for the oil to flow thru. Bike probably has 1200 to 1500 dirt miles on it.

Alot of people ignore the sceens. I consider them to be more of a trap to catch large debris, after initial break in you should clean, (note; a engine tends to shed some material when breaking in) then after that it depends on how hard you ride, but it's a good idea to check them on a regular basis, the material if found in them can warn you of a impending problem. ๐Ÿ™‚