96 yz250 ignition Help!!!

I have a 96 YZ250. I had an open coil on the primary in the stator plate and replace the whole thing. I have checked all connections, grounds and I still have a very weak spark. Problem is, that I am not sure how fat a spark I should get, but I am quite sure "barely able to see it" is not adequate. Bike has always been trouble starting, and does ok once it's started. Measured the coil, and it seemed right. The primary reading is supposed to be low, and is-but seems that it is so close to zero, that it may be shorted???? and get about the same reading. Any thoughts? jeff

Did you replace the failed stator with an OEM or aftermarket unit?

To really see if a spark has some "poop" behind it, turn off the lights and hold the plug ~1/4" away from the head and see if the spark will jump the gap at kickover speed. Having another person helps greatly.

One side of most ignition coils typically has zero or very low resistance to ground in my experience. The service manual will tell you for sure.

Moleculo, I replaced the stator plate with an aftermarket "Moose Racing" plate. I'll try the "lights out, 1/4" away" technique. If I don't get much, what do you think it might be? I replaced the boot, and before I did, I checked the amount of spark holding it about 1/4" away and there was a spark, but pretty weak. jeff