the red dust?

hey tt first gotta say thanks for every ounce of advice contributed

now, today i was cleaning my bike and tightened the chain and wanted to clean the motor area somewhat meticulously, so i decided to take the sprocket cover off to check that out too. Upon removal, i noticed the usual dirt everywhere, but was a bit sketched out when i noticed everything had a red tint to it. It was on the chain, front sprocket, and on close areas. My assumptions included:

-some sort of reaction from a new chain

-rvt silicone sealer wearing off from case savers

-rubber bushing/protector that the sprocket made groove into

-last but not least 😏 from the loctite behind the sprocket.

im wondering if anything bad could be happening and came here first for some help.

on the positive side, i have a super clean drz, and i noticed some new aftermarket parts that were on my bike from the p.o woot woot:busted:

IMG_1569.jpg

IMG_1567.jpg

IMG_1593.jpg

I just started getting this too! I don't get it....about 8k miles and throughout all the beating on the bike and cleaning the chain meticulously, it's only recently the stock chain is now rusting all the time and throwing out the red dust everywhere. I don't get why it just started happening but my tensioner's almost maxed out so it's time for a new chain anyways!

its chain rust.

This. You need to keep your chain clean and well oiled if you don't want it to rust. I use 90w gear oil, run a bead of it down each set of orings on the bottom run of the chain and wipe off all the excess. Easy, simple, cheap, never need to clean your chain.

Man I've noticed this strange red dust on my bikes too. Especially if I power wash the chain completly dry and let it sit all week with no lube on it. I theorize that iron oxide particles present in my garage must be attracted to the positive charge that the power washer imparts to the chain during cleaning. Wondering if I use a wire and ground the chain during storage if it would reduce this effect? One guy told me if I take the chain off and paint it with clear urethane it will stop this red dust. I dunno I think grounding is the way to go or perhaps placing some ferrous metal objects in the garage for the iron oxide to cling to.................😏

My confusion came from the fact that it was only recently that my chain starting coughing it all over the place. Nothing for 3 years now red rusty ass dust everywhere on the reg. I've always done the same routine for chain cleaning, WD40 soak, wipe off (just to make look pretty), hose blast, ride to heat it up and cook/throw off water and wd40, then liberally apply Blue Label and wipe off excess.

Only recently, lots of red dust. I don't get it but chain's getting pitched soon anyways.

My confusion came from the fact that it was only recently that my chain starting coughing it all over the place. Nothing for 3 years now red rusty ass dust everywhere on the reg. I've always done the same routine for chain cleaning, WD40 soak, wipe off (just to make look pretty), hose blast, ride to heat it up and cook/throw off water and wd40, then liberally apply Blue Label and wipe off excess.

Only recently, lots of red dust. I don't get it but chain's getting pitched soon anyways.

The red dust tend to show up after the o-rings fail (spelling the end of the chains life). The red is either from the internal lubricant previously sealed in the o-ring, now escaped and dried into powder or fretting (I believe in the former).