My MRD Pipe arrived

Well a couple of weeks ago I ordered a new pipe from Dave at MRD. I wanted a low / mid pipe to go with my Athena 280 kitted 250. I went for this rather than the top end pipe as I dont run up around the limiter being an ol fart...It was interesting to compare with the Pro Circuit TI4 gp system if anyone is interested some pics -

bike005.jpg

first noticed its shorter in length

bike002.jpg

The mid section is much larger in diameter

bike001.jpg

overall finish is excellent

bike003.jpg

End cap was interesting as the section where the core meets the endcap is a noticable step down in diameter. Dave uses a 2in core but you can see where it reduces in size and I gather there would be a reason why it does

bike007.jpg

Head pipe has a much tighter bend

bike008.jpg

head pipe fits up nice and snug

bike009.jpg

fittment was first class as one would expect looks good to boot

bike016.jpg

bike015.jpg

Cant wait to test on the week end weather permitting as its been shite lately but I will update the thread with a ride report after testing

Thanks Dave good job:thumbsup:

thank you ๐Ÿ˜ your bike is super clean , I might have to put some of those pics on the website ๐Ÿ˜

Thanks guy's for the comments. Dave I will take another couple to replace the slightly blurred pics and you can use what ever you like.

Can you use them from this site or do you want me to email them to you?

:cheers:

Cheers Rob

Thanks guy's for the comments. Dave I will take another couple to replace the slightly blurred pics and you can use what ever you like.

Can you use them from this site or do you want me to email them to you?

๐Ÿ˜

Cheers Rob

ok cool , I can take them form here:thumbsup:

Well I got to test today after not being able to ride for a few weeks due to continual rain. Before I start let me say that this is my own opinion and Im no pro level racer just a 6ft2'' 205 lb 42 yr old novice who has more slower days than faster ones these days. The track was muddy & poorly maintained so riding in the am was hard work.

Start up - The bike seemed to start easier cold than when I had the the pro circuit on the bike. While warming up the bike it was just noticably louder idling on the stand but when blipping the throttle I thought it was more barky.

First lap -When I got onto the track my first impression was fark this is loud and I mean loud.

Few laps on - The bike did have more snap off the bottom which was one thing I was looking for.The pipe did seem to highlight the big bore traits and also seems to make it more apparent that it does fall over more up top. This was not as noticable when the p/c system was on the bike the ride before. I also noticed more engine braking with this system on which I have experienced when fitting louder systems before.

Later that day -I did have alot of trouble getting over how loud the system is and the fact when I did rev it hard the bike seemed to vibrate a bit more( or so it seemed) and I did have to change my riding style a touch (shorter shifting the bike) but overall I felt I did not ride too well today anyway as I had trouble keeping up with a riding buddy who is a little faster than me in general he kicked my ass all day easily.

Days end - Bike started well hot or cold all day and I did fiddle with the fuel screw just to see if it would improve anything. I felt the p/c system was smoother and quieter than the MRD, the MRD system fitted better, looked better and performed better in the area's it was designed to. The mrd is constructed better and much sturdier. In hindsight I should have ordered a mid / top pipe as the top end sign off is more noticable now .I might try dropping a tooth or two on the back sprocket now as I also need to replace the chain soon anyway to see how it spreads the power.

The system overall looks great and does perform well. I'm just not sure how I feel about the noise level. Dave does great work and the evidence is in the product. I also told him that sound level was not an issue as I ride public tracks that dont worry about that anyway. I was going to advertise the p/c system but I may hold off until Im sure of which one to keep.

Thanks for reading this long post and thanks MRD for a quality system :banana:

I'M willing to bet it's not that the PC system has more top, it's just the MRD runs through the power quicker and gets to peak faster.

Try 2 teeth smaller in the rear sprocket.

that would be my thoughts also the MRD pipe may also be scavenging better and require a smaller main jet it could be rich on the top end .noise has become a big issue in the mx industry may be a smaller insert @ the exit would help and also help the over rev this is what usually happens but @ a reduction in low end.

good ride report ! its probably reving quicker making it feel like it signs off as stated above , my pipes do idle louder and bark louder when the throttle is wacked but they really arent louder than other pipes at wot on the track if you check them with a db meter

I'M willing to bet it's not that the PC system has more top, it's just the MRD runs through the power quicker and gets to peak faster.

Try 2 teeth smaller in the rear sprocket.

Yep I thought that as well as I mentioned that in the review. I wasn't sure wether to go 1 or 2 less on the rear as I dont want to lose too much down low. My thoughts were that 1 less may not make much difference. There is one section (up hill with a small triple at the top) beleive me it sounds more impressive than it is and I thought it was peaking a bit too early in 5th. That was where I thought it was falling flat up top more noticably than before. :banana:

that would be my thoughts also the MRD pipe may also be scavenging better and require a smaller main jet it could be rich on the top end .noise has become a big issue in the mx industry may be a smaller insert @ the exit would help and also help the over rev this is what usually happens but @ a reduction in low end.

Thanks Ron I will try less teeth on the rear. Interesting on the scavenging thought as I beleive that is one advantage daves pipe had over the p/c hence improving low end response. So it might be worth dropping 1 size on the main? What change should see ron if it's a positive change??

I will catch up with dave about the sound level.

Please Let me stress again it may also seem alot louder to me in direct contrast to the previous system and I got what I asked for. So I'm not saying anything neg about MRD. There is one track that I ride at that frown on loud systems but I haven't ridden there in a long long time.

good ride report ! its probably reving quicker making it feel like it signs off as stated above , my pipes do idle louder and bark louder when the throttle is wacked but they really arent louder than other pipes at wot on the track if you check them with a db meter

Thanks Dave and what you said makes some sense too. I think your system highlighted to me that its time to change my gearing as I have read before guys dropping 1 or 2 teeth on the rear when they get the big bores set up right.

Once again thanks for a quality product:thumbsup:

Thanks Dave and what you said makes some sense too. I think your system highlighted to me that its time to change my gearing as I have read before guys dropping 1 or 2 teeth on the rear when they get the big bores set up right.

Once again thanks for a quality product:thumbsup:

no prob. , thanks for trying it :banana: