think i'm ready to man up to a 450

ok so I'm lookin for the best 450 thats gonna last the longest:bonk: I've heard horror stories about honda's and there valving, great things about kawi but nothing about yamaha, pros cons on any year 450 both my buddies ride yamaha 450s but they haven't had them long enough to know how long they last before a rebuild so I need help. I do regular mantaince religiously:thumbsup: basically inform me on the 450s I'm a 2stroke guy gimme a break:smirk:

A couple of questions. Anyone that says they are going to man up and buy a 450 is probably either too young or too inexperienced to need a 450. Have you ridden a 450 and do you know what you are in for? Do you feel you will be a much superior rider if you are on a 450? For me, and especially for a two stroke guy like yourself, if you want to man up and ride an "animal", buy a Service Honda CR500, or Kawasaki KX500. That is pure, unadulterated horsepower.

Yea man pick a color, one thing I would do thats diff is if you like slim or wide bikes some are diff in that aspect but thats just feel.

+1.

The homer in me says go with a Kawasaki, but, if you can, try to ride some 450's and see which one suits you the best.

As for hondas and their valves, I have a friend who isn't the best at maintenance yet his valves were in spec after a lot of hours on the bike.

I'm trying to stray away from the 2 strokes, want a differnt animal. plus there aren't many ktm dealers around michigan. i've never even seen a husky dealer here:lol:

I'm thinkin about gettin a WR300 2 stroke....I'm in mid-Michigan...there's 4 Husky dealerships within 100 miles... oh... why a 450 4 stroke?.....

A couple of questions. Anyone that says they are going to man up and buy a 450 is probably either too young or too inexperienced to need a 450. Have you ridden a 450 and do you know what you are in for? Do you feel you will be a much superior rider if you are on a 450? For me, and especially for a two stroke guy like yourself, if you want to man up and ride an "animal", buy a Service Honda CR500, or Kawasaki KX500. That is pure, unadulterated horsepower.

😏 all i ment by i'm a 2stroke guy is thats why i had so many questions.

I've grown up on bikes and have tons of experiance. the past couple years before my cr I was riding my dads old xr250 xl 250 thumper with a steel frame. and i could flick that around like nothing. I mainly want a 450 because on my 125 i get bored plus when i ride trails i dont like riding loops i like having a destination and being able to just pull up to a pump and get gas an not have to mix it and the worry did i do it right all the way home. plus the deep thump of a 450 is almost as cool as the BRAPP of a 2stroke

I'm gonna try an get one of my buddies with a yz426f up to my cabin and he'll let me ride it so i can see what there like. would a dealer let me ride a 450? or would i have to be real sierious about buying one then?

😏

I'm gonna try an get one of my buddies with a yz426f up to my cabin and he'll let me ride it so i can see what there like. would a dealer let me ride a 450? or would i have to be real sierious about buying one then?

Usually no. Even when I was serious about my 450 they wouldn't let me ride it.

Are you looking at a new one or used?

I was lookin for a used one but for a couple more bucks I could get a brand new bike, a local dealer hasa yz450f from 08 for 4,999 then if i sold my 2 stroke i'd had the first year of payments covered then once that money "ran out" it'd be summertime again and I could start maken the payments. I have a seasonal job of mowin lawns

I know you have ridden a 125 but have you have seat time on a 250 2t? That is a different animal, unless you are going to be running with the pros on a track I really don't see the need for a 450, in trails the 2t is king...as for the gas station figure out how much gas your tank holds do some quick math and bring the appropriate amount of oil to mix for that amount. I have just seen way to many people get a 450 because it is the cool bike to have and then be disappointed in how it handles trails and how much unnecessary maintenance you have gotten yourself into when you could have been riding a superior trail bike in the first place.

I know you have ridden a 125 but have you have seat time on a 250 2t? That is a different animal, unless you are going to be running with the pros on a track I really don't see the need for a 450, in trails the 2t is king...as for the gas station figure out how much gas your tank holds do some quick math and bring the appropriate amount of oil to mix for that amount. I have just seen way to many people get a 450 because it is the cool bike to have and then be disappointed in how it handles trails and how much unnecessary maintenance you have gotten yourself into when you could have been riding a superior trail bike in the first place.

+1

I ride 90% trails 10% track and my buddy bought a 450 to come riding with me... he hated it on the trails. Big, heavy beast that sucked to kick over. I thought I wanted a 4 stroke too so I could just fill up at gas stations on our long trips....but I just carry a quart of oil with me and 32:1 is a super easy mix ratio (4oz of oil to 1 gal of gas).... piece of cake.

When I moved up from my RM80 😏 haha...I was looking at CR250's and CRF450's. Needless to say I fell in love with the beastly power of the 250 2s and how light it felt.... and I can kick start it with my hand! Try that with a 450 haha.

I'd say give the 250 2s a try before you make your decision. Good luck!! 😏

+1

Needless to say I fell in love with the beastly power of the 250 2s and how light it felt.... and I can kick start it with my hand! Try that with a 450 haha.

I'd say give the 250 2s a try before you make your decision. Good luck!! 😏

It is effortless to crank up my 450. I do however understand what you are saying.

would a 250 2s have more of a powerband? I hate that about my 125 its like a light switch either your on the pipe or its nothing. also i dont like that 2s are ticking time bombs. another thing, why am i seeing new four strokes that are lets say 5 years old having to be rebuilt I have a 87 4s quad that was rebuilt 2 years ago!! thats 20 years of being beat on and rarely maintained. is it just cause there high reving race motors?