Coolant leak (help)

I’m not really sure if this is a problem or not, but the other day I did a 35 mile trail ride and when the ride was over I noticed that a small amount of coolant had spit out of a small hole that’s located on the right hand side of the bike, in the center portion of the cylinder head case. My terminology is probably completely wrong, but maybe someone will be able to understand what I’m saying. At some points during the ride the bike was probably sitting at idle too long which caused the motor to heat up. Is this normal for coolant to come out of this hole when the bike heats up? I lost a small amount of coolant and the bike seems to run fine. (03 YZ250F)

Coolant is definatley not supposed to come out of that hole. That hole is a drain/pressure release for the spark plug chamber. It allows water to drain out and also allows you to get the plug cap off (if it wasn't there the deep chamber would develop vacuum when you pulled on the plug cap).

I ma thinking it would not be a good sign if coolant was actually coming from that hole. Check the overflow line it goes from the radiator cap, along the top frame rail to the bottom with the carbe vent tubes. Maybe it has a hole in it and was dripping near that hole.

To be safe, remove your plug and see if there is any coolant on the plug or plug cap. Also, change your oil and make sure there is no coolant in the oil. On a car, coolant in the oil or in the combustion chamber generally means you cracked you block, I don't know the specifics of the cooling system on the YZF.

CHances are your are Okay and the coolant was there inadvertantly. But I would check things out to be sure.

I just pulled my plug and there is coolant on it.. I have not drained the oil yet, but I can only guess that there will be coolant in the oil. I'm pretty mad at this point. I take good care of my bike. I check the coolant before every ride, change the oil/oil filter every other ride, well you get the point. I also make a point to kill my engine if I'm sitting still for more than 2 or 3 minutes. What could have caused this? I bet this is going to cost be a pretty penny to fix. The bike is only 4 months old 🙂