Too big for TTR 125?

Im looking into getting a TTR125 as my first bike (would like to get something bigger but i feel this bike would be nice to learn on). Im 6' and 170lbs (without gear) and im worried that i would be way too big for the bike, im not a fat 170 but i like built 170. Would i fit on a TTR125?? I found a 2006 TTR-125L for 800$ used at a dealer (in eastern canada), is this a decent price? Bikes under 1300$ are few and far between (that arnt smaller than 125).

Also another question i have is would i fit on say a Yz 85 2T? Or would i still be too big for that bike?

Im looking for a trail exclusive bike to have a fun day of riding with, nothing more than that, no racing. Any other suggestions are appreciated.

Hello,

If you like to do trails and ride around, the 125 is great for you. It is one of those bikes that you can jump on and ride. I have one right now and it is an EXCELLENT trail bike. 800$ is not bad but I would always check ebay or craigslist before buying from a dealer.

Cheers Mate

Hello,

If you like to do trails and ride around, the 125 is great for you. It is one of those bikes that you can jump on and ride. I have one right now and it is an EXCELLENT trail bike. 800$ is not bad but I would always check ebay or craigslist before buying from a dealer.

Cheers Mate

I have one as well and im the same size as you. It's a great bike to play around on the trails with but stock it's kinda small for a bigger adult. the stock susp doesn't really carry the extra weight well over about 120lbs. and it's short. the ttr 125 really needs alot of work to make it a good adult play/ trail bike. That's why so many people fix these bikes up. They are dependable, light, handle well,fun to ride, and are about 3.5 inches taller with a good susp. tall seat, and bar risers. Also, the extra 4 hp you get from an engine kit doesn't sound like much but it really helps on this bike when larger people are riding them. Many think it's silly fixin them up but im not one of them. 800 is not bad at all for a decent one. Id say if you get it as a project bike and build it up a little at a time, it would suit the needs you described. If not a 150f or better a 230f stock would be better for someone your size. I like the 125 but never really cared much for the larger ttr's . No disrespect to those who do .

@Ruxpin56 We dont have craigslist in Canada but i did find the bike on kijiji (the craigslist for canada kinda) and i dont know about buying a bike on ebay, i kinda like the whole look at a bike before i buy it stuff.

@ john4ct About how much would i be expecting to spend to get the bar raisers and the suspension done? Also when you say engine kit do u mean the big bore kit?

Im looking into getting a TTR125 as my first bike (would like to get something bigger but i feel this bike would be nice to learn on). Im 6' and 170lbs (without gear) and im worried that i would be way too big for the bike, im not a fat 170 but i like built 170. Would i fit on a TTR125?? I found a 2006 TTR-125L for 800$ used at a dealer (in eastern canada), is this a decent price? Bikes under 1300$ are few and far between (that arnt smaller than 125).

Also another question i have is would i fit on say a Yz 85 2T? Or would i still be too big for that bike?

Im looking for a trail exclusive bike to have a fun day of riding with, nothing more than that, no racing. Any other suggestions are appreciated.

I am fat (220lb) and chose the TTR125L (16" rear) as my first bike since I was a kid. I had a blast with it and moved up to a CRF230 after a year. It has since been passed down to twin A. We bought an '06 for twin B for $900 USD.

I recently bought a KX100 for fun, & found it to be a little small in the frame for my minimal skills. I don't recommend the YZ for you height.

Had I known then what I know now, I would have bought a 230 for a first bike.

Don' forget to get helmet, boots, pants & gloves & have a great time.😏

I am fat (220lb) and chose the TTR125L (16" rear) as my first bike since I was a kid. I had a blast with it and moved up to a CRF230 after a year. It has since been passed down to twin A. We bought an '06 for twin B for $900 USD.

I recently bought a KX100 for fun, & found it to be a little small in the frame for my minimal skills. I don't recommend the YZ for you height.

Had I known then what I know now, I would have bought a 230 for a first bike.

Don' forget to get helmet, boots, pants & gloves & have a great time.😏

Yea im just treating the ttr as a little starter bike for me to learn on for the next year, ill be buying something alot bigger next year.

@Ruxpin56 We dont have craigslist in Canada but i did find the bike on kijiji (the craigslist for canada kinda) and i dont know about buying a bike on ebay, i kinda like the whole look at a bike before i buy it stuff.

@ john4ct About how much would i be expecting to spend to get the bar raisers and the suspension done? Also when you say engine kit do u mean the big bore kit?

Bar risers maybe 25$ tall seat foam and cover 75$, The biggest problem with the susp is the forks.....they are too weak . They dont work very well and flex a lot under stress . if you are patient , you can find a used yz front off of ebay for 200-250. It's almost bolt on easy to change. remount the rear shock at the top and it lifts the bike over 3"" I changed the rear shock as well but you could get away with the stocker for awhile . It's the front that the killer. It's a whole different bike once it's gone. That was the biggest and most worthwhile mod of all of them.

This is a TTR forum, but I'd suggest an older DR125, they're cheap, reliable and built for an adult. I picked up an 86 which ran but needed some work for $140. I've been told that in Canada, that $140 bike is worth $14,000 or some outrageous amount of money and show-room new bikes go for millions?

Ok, in all seriousness, that $140 bike is probably worth about $400 up north. Give it a shot and remember, it's your first bike, you don't want one that's pretty!

As far as any youth bike, TTR125, YZ85, etc. You're too big. An adult riding a kids bike, or even a youth bike makes the front end feel extremely light. This makes the handling funny. Start off with a small displacement adult frame bike you'll be much better off than trying to learn on a youth frame bike.

@john

I put a couple hundred dollars in my 125 just so I could ride a little. **one thing to never do on a yamaha TTR 125, pop a wheelie. The guy I bought it from did that and it ruined the bearings. If you do not heed my advice and do so, you will have to go through the effort of putting new bearings on which for me was a pain. Otherwise, good "fix her up" bikes.

@john

I put a couple hundred dollars in my 125 just so I could ride a little. **one thing to never do on a yamaha TTR 125, pop a wheelie. The guy I bought it from did that and it ruined the bearings. If you do not heed my advice and do so, you will have to go through the effort of putting new bearings on which for me was a pain. Otherwise, good "fix her up" bikes.

Never heard that one yet. maybe he needed to check the oil level before he started it.........that would make more sense .....I know people who live on one wheel on ttr's .

As far as any youth bike, TTR125, YZ85, etc. You're too big. An adult riding a kids bike, or even a youth bike makes the front end feel extremely light. This makes the handling funny. Start off with a small displacement adult frame bike you'll be much better off than trying to learn on a youth frame bike.

Im actually still a kid really, im 17 and 6' :banana:. Im looking around to see if i can find somthing a tad bit bigger, i went down to the dealer (about a 2 hour drive from my house, no big) and the bike was way too small feeling so i guess i need to find a new bike. Any suggestions? I found a few RM 125's but they are like 2200$ which is a tad expensive.

I have a WR250F, and my wife has a TTR125LE. I've ridden hers quite a few times, and we both have noticed the forks are so soft it feels out of control above 20mph--she even asked about it initially, meaning she didn't know to look for it. Last month, I wanted to start going to the track (we usually desert ride), so I bought an exercise bike...a CRF150R. 😉 I picked it because it can handle my fat arse (195 in socks) and it's a bit taller than the ttr.

After having ridden both, I would unequivocally pick the 150 any day. I would go with the TTR only in these cases.

1. In CA the Honda is red-stickered, so it's track-only during summer.

2. It's also slightly taller, so shorter newbies will prefer the TTR.

3. Mine cost $3200 brand new, out the door with CA's grab your ankle :eek: taxes :banana: . There are plenty of leftovers to get a great price, but that's still 2-3x the price of a ttr--if it matters. For me, I had already saved up for something else and changed interest.

For you, it seems like concern #3 is the only issue. My wife is sort of on the edge height-wise, but since she's timid with two-wheeled vehicles, she'll be keeping her ttr for a while. If you can swing it, I'd strongly suggest the Honda. It's a much better bike in every way for a taller person (even at 5'8", I feel cramped on the ttr.).

The stock Honda is basically what you get once you've done EVERY ttr125 upgrade on this forum...yz forks, shock & swingarm, big bore... etc. The ONLY thing the ttr has on the crf is the magic button...but the crf starts so easy it doesn't matter.

• 2 weeks later...
Im actually still a kid really, im 17 and 6' :banana:. Im looking around to see if i can find somthing a tad bit bigger, i went down to the dealer (about a 2 hour drive from my house, no big) and the bike was way too small feeling so i guess i need to find a new bike. Any suggestions? I found a few RM 125's but they are like 2200$ which is a tad expensive.
Even though you're young, you're 6' tall, and thus no longer in the "youth frame".

The good news, at 6', you've got a lot more options than I do at 5'8".

While others may disagree, I think your best bet is to get a year or two experience on an adult frame 125 or 200 four stroke, the cheaper, the better. I've got a DR125 that would be perfect, for the $300 it cost it wouldn't be a huge loss if you destroyed it and if you don't, you can turn around and sell it again for at least $250 next year.

Here's what I would look for, it's a shorter list than picking individual models.

Older 4 stroke, kick-start, seat height around 32", no less. I prefer the mono shock bikes, but a dual rear shock isn't that bad. That's going back to early 80s and before. Disk or drum brakes won't matter and most of all, the cheaper, the better.

One exception to the four-stroke suggestion, the KE and KDX two strokes are good choices, although the KE will need to be ridden like a smoker some times - riding the clutch on steep inclines.

Buy the best gear you can afford, used gear is fine except for helmets, always buy a new helmet.

Once you get a handle on the bike and know that this is definitely something you want to do, start saving for a better bike. Buy the better bike when you're wringing out the old 4T all the time and flogging it to death. Once you get your new ride (you'll probably know what you want before you get to this point), sell the old one and buy some better gear, especially boots.

i agree with Smacaroni, an older 4 stroke is a great bet. older Xr200's are great learning bikes and big enough for your frame as well, Rm's,KX's,YZ's and CR's are all good but not as learning bikes. you were on the right track with a TTR but the 125 would be small for you. a TTR225 can sometimes be found cheap and thats option too. i personally would stay away from on/off or street leagal trail bikes if your looking to just dirt ride, they dont handle as well as an XR, DR, KDX or any of the trail only bikes. just my 0.02$