07 300XC for $2800?

I was closing a deal on a 08 yz250 when I ran into a '07 300xc for $2800 in an ad. Talked to the guy and seems like everything is in great shape. Awaiting some pics before I drive 4hrs to take a look. The gentleman is in his 50's and used it for enduros. Scotts stabilizer, Tall seat, susp. work, gnarly pipe, turbine core and all his riding gear go with it. Normal woods scratches and what not. Concerns me when he said something about a couple fins on the radiators were nicked by twigs but I will look into that.Mentioned he fixed a leak that was common for these bikes.Has Good compression but hasnt done any engine work. Said if he were gonna keep it he may replace the front sprocket but thats it. Is there anything about these bikes I should know about? Seems like a good deal.

Ya in my experience if a bike looks excellent in pics then it's probably at best in good condition. If it looks good then it likely needs some work, but $2800 for an '07 is a really good price. I'd just ask for a bunch of close up detailed pics.

He sent me some HQ pics of the bike. Has some scuffs and what not from wear and tear but nothing that would be of much concern. He took off another hundred for it. So basically its $2700 now for the bike like it sits.

I figured for about $260 I could throw on some new graphics/plastics and roll with it. How often do yall do the top ends on the 300's?

why spend the money on plastics? You're just going to scuff them all up again anyway.

If you're just trail riding, I know people that changed rings out at 100 hrs and people that did piston, rings at 230 hrs. The guy that did everything at 100hrs said he really didn't need to do anything and the guy that did piston/rings at 230 said that he really could have only done rings. There's even a guy that has only done rings at 200 and is a little over 300 hrs on the piston.

For you I'd say that you should probably at least check to see how everything looks, since he raced his. bearings, piston, headstay bearings, etc.

I've had both those bikes. They are quite a bit different in power delivery.

Re the rad's. Tweeked fins are no worry.

Top ends last for a good while on a 300. Very few folks can run them hard. If the filter has been well maintained you'll get 150 plus hours.

Does he know how many hours it has?

Check wheel bearings (see if wheels move side to side)

Check swing arm and shock bushings. (on a stand pick up on teh rear wheel and look for play.

Check swing arm bearings. (on stand move from side to side)

All easy fixes but if any are needed you may get him lower.

On KTM talk you can fine complete plastic for far less. 100 - 130 for a complete new set.

Just bought an 07 300 xc for $2600 in Central Fl.- Guy lived 2 blocks from me and I did not know it. New piston/rings last December (even gave me all the old gaskets and stuff from the rebuild) Suspension revalved, all the guards (radiator, skid plate, Hand guards)- Cases are not even scratched up!. All I had to do was adjust sag/clickers and add gas. Went riding with the previous owner last weekend (he has a yz 450 also)- Deal of the century I think!.

If you don't want to spend a lot on graphics, check out the generic Rocky Mt/ATV ones for this year- $30-40 for front guards and both fenders- Enjoy!

Wow these prices are unreal, 4 hour drive thats nothing, I just drove 1,000 miles round trip to buy a YZ250 but I spent $1,000 less then what it is worth in my area. Get on the road or you'll miss a great deal, IMO.

My buddy just sold well a used but clean 06 300XC for $3,700ish.