How Old Is Too Old?

As some of you know I have a 2001 YZ125. I was thinking about getting a new bike within a year or two, but at the same time I was thinking about completely tricking my bike out instead. I have ridden other bikes but I really love riding a 125, so it is a high probability that if and when I do buy a new bike it will probably be a 125 if I buy brand new. But since they haven't changed that much since now and then I was wondering if it would be better off dropping mucho mula into mine. I was thinking along the lines of a new cylinder, radiators, reed valves, pipe and silencer, all new bearings, race clutch, clutch/ignition/waterpump covers maybe, the hole deal. With all this I could probably make my bike a heck of a lot better than the new ones. But I'm just not sure if it's worth it. Maybe I will compromise and keep it mostly stock but refresh it all and save half the money. But I've been thinking about this a lot, and I am wondering if it's even worth it. I am never going to get rid of my bike as it has a lot of sentimental value to me, and I was thinking that combined with being totally redone would make it more valuable to me than a new bike. So what are yall's thoughts?

To keep riding these older bikes you have to put some money into them anyway. When you look at the price of a new bike, the fact you said you will never get rid of your current bike, and then this awsesome economy and the fact I rarely see new bikes at the track anymore...sounds like a no brainer to me. ๐Ÿ˜

keep it and dump your money into your suspension and youll have a 06+ 125 minus the alum frame... lol

I will never get rid of my steel framed 125 or 250! Plus my 03 250 pulls alot harder than my 08 with the exact same mods.

I dont see the point in dumping your money into a brand new stock bike when the only thing that has changed is the graphics... I agree with the above statement, no brainer! make your "old" bike that your already comfortable on BETTER.

I too will never get rid of my 01. I am actually in the process of doing a complete rebuild with all the goodies. Yes its gonna cost alot of money but truly it will be a one of a kind bike you just cant buy at the stealership.๐Ÿ˜ Not to mention alot of trick parts for this bike are rather cheap if you browse the aisles of ebay.

We've found this out a few times; No matter how much money you put into an older bike, it will never match newer models. Examples;

Tricked-out 1994 YZ250 vs stock 2000: 2000 kills it.

Tricked-out 1996 YZ250 with a spare-no-expense motor vs stock 2000: 2000 kills it.

Modded 2000 YZ250 vs stock 2006: 2006 kills it.

Fairly trick 2001 YZ125 (thousands of $$ "invested" in it) vs stock 2005: the '05 is 'way better in nearly every aspect. ๐Ÿ˜

Keep your trusty 125, Breeze, but start saving for a newer 250 -- you WILL want/need one eventually.

And someday you'll take the 'ol 125 out for a spin, and come back shaking your head saying, "Man! I can't believe we used to actually race these old bikes!" ๐Ÿ˜

besides you linking my bike and making me feel like a superhero ๐Ÿ˜ .... my 167 doesnt even come close to my 2010 200 ktm.

the new designed 2011 ktms are here so everyone is going to be selling there older models quickly, or id suggest snagging that last husky wr144 that halls cycles has

http://www.halls-cycles.com/2009-HUSQVARNA-WR125-WR144-WR150.htm

If you have some money saved up, why don't you try to find a barely used 06+ YZ125. Then you can go through the bike and customize it along the way.
That's would make an awesome weapon. ๐Ÿ˜

Enjoy the lighter weight and SSS forks, and throw in a 167cc kit to compliment the 6-speed.

:cheers::ride:๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿคฃ

Heck, with that bike I could see you not really wanting a 250.

Haha that's an idea I suppose. Instead of fixing up my bike, and then in several years buying a new bike. I guess I could buy a newer bike, and then in several years go through the whole thing. But it's still going to be a while before I do any of this.

I have ridden other bikes but I really love riding a 125, so it is a high probability that if and when I do buy a new bike it will probably be a 125 if I buy brand new. But since they haven't changed that much since now and then I was wondering if it would be better off dropping mucho mula into mine.

WHAT?!

The 06 barely shares a single part with the 01 (not looking at plastics)

Motor

frame + subframe

suspension (front and rear)

Pipe

Wheels

brakes

calipers (rear might be the same)

The YZ 125 got a whole new motor in 2005 , while the YZ250F is still with the same lump from 2001.

Id say get a 06+ and be done with it. Im glad I did.

breeze I was where you are. I loved my 97 yz125 and had it/punished it for over 2 years. Great bike. Then I saw deal on 06 125 and got it. Night and day better. It's like a mountain bike with 34HP. No amount of revalving or twiddling will get your 01 there.

If you were some slobbery old sentimental guy with the money and space to keep your 01 and still get a newer one you wouldn't be asking us this question. So from economical standpoint there is only one solid choice to me-watch for deals on newer one while maintaining your current one as frugally as possible. After you sell your older one and when you factor in a newer one's resale value(like when you decide to resell it) you would be throwing good money after bad by redoing your 01.

Now if you had the garage space to keep all the bikes you get attached to...that's a different story.

If the newer bikes weren't better they wouldn't have changed it to begin with. The 2005+ YZ125 is the best 125 you could ever own. The suspension on the newer YZs is incredible. I came of a 2003 CR125 to a 2005 YZ250F and I couldn't believe how much better the suspension was. Two years later I got a YZ450F and it was even better. My last two KX250Fs had revalved/ resprung suspension which was awesome until I rode my buddies 2009 YZ250...I was a little heavy for it but it was better than my modified KX.

If you invest in the newer bike you'll ride knowing that you have the best possible bike that you could ever have (being that you ride 125s).

i just got done with the brp triple clamp with scotts submount...also leaned the bike out a little. i might be taking back my earlier comment about my ktm 200 being better :banana:

Good to hear...I am a firm believer that with a little bit of money and adjustments you can make a non-current bike perform just as good or better than a current bike.