Wife is getting discouraged on sizing of Moto stuff, please help!

Today I took my wife out to find some riding gear (and for me to figure out what size I am as well) to a local Cyclegear store. This was where the headaches started.

My wife is short (5'3) and has larger hips/waist so she can't fit into anything that's labeled for women. I had her try on some men's pants and found some that would fit her because the legs were super short (Oneill pants). I was hoping to find some with more flex panels in them but that had short legs. That might be another beast to tackle.

Big BIG discouragement was the lack of being able to fit into boots. We tried on every make and size of boot that they had in both mens and womens sizes. Nothing would wrap around her calves. We measured them when we got home and they are 19". I tried telling her some people wear 2 pairs of socks to get their boots to fit. I also told her there's lots of companies that make half boots which might be her ticket (just no one sells them around where we live).

I need some help on brand suggestion or model specific stuff. The chest protector she tried on was a fox and it seemed to fit her frame ok. I got that out of the way. She just needs boots and pants/jersey and we are all set. I want her to feel like she's able to be normal riding and not worried about the fact that we had to rig something to fit her frame. I know if she shrinks any (looses weight) things will become looser and I have no problem about buying her new gear in the future (if you can loose the weight you deserve it, a good job gift). I just want to get her riding.

Any ideas or suggestions would be great!

I wear A-Stars but i think Gaernes fit people with bigger calves.

I bought a pair of Klim Baja in the boot pants and were surprised to see how loose the butt was on them for the sizing. I did buy a pair for a short friend and she loves 'em.

of course, neither of these above options are cheap. Awesome quality though.

Good luck

I also had issues w/the calf sizing. I bought the high dollar Sidi boots (the ones that you can adjust the panel out to make the calf even larger). They fit my calves on the regular setting! Only thing about them is if she has small feet she's SOL. I wear women's 8.5-9 and have to have heel inserts to take up some of the space in the heel area, but it does the trick. I also do not have the smallest size... they have a 1/2 size smaller (hubby ordered the wrong size and whined when I told him so... since it was not my order to send back -did not have shipper info, I kept them... they work fine).

Stretch panels DO help. Women's gear just is not that good of quality... look at men's stuff for sure. You may have to do a little altering to get stuff to fit reasonably well, so if the knees fall pretty close, chopping off the length shouldn't be that big of a deal.

I'm on the weight loss kick, and am sort of shopping for smaller pants. I have a pair of Klim in the boot pants that I LOVE LOVE LOVE except for one small thing... that extra material... and I mean a lot... in the crotch... bunches up and chafes the delicate bits something fierce! Since I am down a size since I bought them, I'll be shopping for a different brand next (and that is my only complaint on the Klim... wish it wasn't so).

I have to say I empathize with your wife. When I was buying pants, etc., this year for the first time I ordered a lot of extra gear in different brands & sizes knowing that at least half would go back because of fit. I didn't even try womens as I had been told that mens stuff fit better. As well, I couldn't really stomach the idea of pink, purple or baby blue - another reason to try mens.

I ended up going with A-Stars Stella 6 boots - I don't think they are made for huge calves (try gaerne or Sidi from what I've heard) - they do have very adjustable buckles though so for transitioning from in boot to out of boot pants they work great.

I'm 5'4 (29" inseam), 115lbs athletic build (with an ample alpine a$$ and quads from skiing). I would have to say of the brands I tried in pants, the roomiest in the hips & thighs are the Klim. I went with the Chinook (in the boot). Because they are so roomy, they will be my fall/winter riding pants for when I need long underwear on. I'd stay away from One Industries as they run really small and are pretty straight cut. For me, the best fit was the Shift Factions - plenty of room in the butt & thighs, but not as loose as the Klims.

So maybe try what I did - order a bunch of different brands in different sizes online, find some you like and send the others back - lots of stuff on closeout now.

I have to say I empathize with your wife. When I was buying pants, etc., this year for the first time I ordered a lot of extra gear in different brands & sizes knowing that at least half would go back because of fit. I didn't even try womens as I had been told that mens stuff fit better. As well, I couldn't really stomach the idea of pink, purple or baby blue - another reason to try mens.

Hear hear!! What's up with all the pink? Do they really figure that chicks who like to play in the dirt are really that into hot pink butterflies? :banana:

If she can manage with men's pants, I think she may be better off. That's what I ride in, men's Fox pants. I find the XL youth jerseys fit me way better than the ladies' Smalls, which works for me because they're usually 1/2 the price (at Cycle Gear anyway).

How about an over-the-boot pant? Would that work for her? They're usually a straight-leg, so there might be a little more thigh room in them. I tried on a pair of Fox Dakota pants like that and they seemed a little roomier than the tuck in pants. Plus, if she's having a hard time with the boot sizing, it may help if she's not trying to cram pant legs in them too. Just a thought.

• 2 months later...

spunger1, I don't know if you've figured out wife's gear issues yet, but I thought I'd throw my 2 cents in. I'm also 5'3" and quite curvy with larger hips/butt. You didn't mention what size your wife is, but when I was thinner, I could wear Fox's size 13/14 race pants, but Fox does run small. I haven't been able to wear those for awhile and was making do with pants from a now out-of-business manufacturer. But last March, I found a pair of Fly Racing OTB pants in a larger size and I love them. Well, I love them because they freakin' fit, lol. I had to shorten them but that wasn't a big deal because they fit in the waist/hips/butt. They are roomy in the leg too. The jerseys are appropriately sized as well. The 2011 gear goes up to size 19/20 in pants and XX-Large for jersey, positive on the pants, pretty sure on the jersey.

Boots, eh. Love/hate mine. Fox's (first year they were out) but they are too small in the calf because the velcro *barely* catches. OTB pants help a lot though.

For you ladies who mentioned Klim pants.....I tried to find what you might be talking about (had never heard of them). All I found was men's in regular and tall. Not sure if that what you all are wearing. Can someone post a link (is that even allowed? lol).

Oh gawd, is Girlyz even around anymore? They haven't updated stuff in at least a couple of years. Over a year ago, I ordered a pair of riding (not race) pants because they had them in larger sizes. I remember the person answering the phone was slightly clueless (couldn't order online). Paid over $100......and the pants SUCK! Might be a bigger size but the rise was too low for my preference and had gapped in the back. They are HOT and don't breathe AT ALL. I wanted plain black but had to get the black with checkerboard instead. After two, maybe three, washings, the checkboard started to come apart and fray. HATE those pants.

Lol, those are the pants I wearing in my avatar pic though.

I tried on alot of boots trying to find a pair that fit around my calves as well. Ended up getting a pair of the Fox Comp 5 boots. As for gear we got MSR pants and a jersey from RMATV/MC on discount in the largest size they had. My mother-in-law ended up sewing a panel into each arm and on each leg of the pants. My next set of gear, im going to look into OTB pants and see if those are roomier than regular pants since I'm pretty curvy as well. So if your wife is handy at sewing that might be an option if she cant find anything that fits, even though its disappointing to pay that much for gear and have to adjust it yourself to make it fit correctly/comfortably.