CS sprocket Positioning

So i took the sprocket off the bike about a month ago, and can't remember which way it was on there. one side has the "14" etched in it with the extra spacing on that side, and the other side is flat with no space or lettering. Putting it on with the completely flat side facing me makes sense because then the "holder" will bolt directly to it. BUT, the other way makes sense too, because then the sprocket will have the "14" facing out and will be more in the middle of the shaft, but then the when it bolts in, there is a gap between the holder and the sprocket. I can't find a good picture reference either....TIA

I'd look on my other bike, but now i'm second guessing how i put that one on too!

its on the 600r. but on the pic above the "extra space" is only as big as the retaining piece, so there is an empty space between the retainer and sprocket. i'll post a pic when i get home about what i'm talking about.

"Flat side in, so the teeth are more towards the case"

leads to a ----->>

"gap between the holder and the sprocket".

I dunno about this..

Why would you want a gap between the retainer and the sprocket ,,bolts floating in thin air..I don't think so but I can accept being wrong.

I should add all 3 of my 600s have the raised bit towards the motor (on the inside),,the flat sits on the outside,,Far as I'm aware thats the way they've always been and if it's wrong I will happily be corrected.

"Flat side in, so the teeth are more towards the case"

leads to a ----->>

"gap between the holder and the sprocket".

I dunno about this..

Why would you want a gap between the retainer and the sprocket ,,bolts floating in thin air..I don't think so but I can accept being wrong.

If there is not a projection off the surface of the sprocket, there can be no gap.

I think he's saying the projection off the surface is not over the entire surface, just around the shaft and around the bolt holes.

Dave

That picture posted doesn't really look the way an XR600 sprocket would end up with the raised bit to the outside..their would be a gap between the retainer and the sprocket if the raised was on the external side..I'm confused with this I have to say..studied the one manual I have laying about and can't find anything about which way round it goes..

Yep..Looks correct..I shall be down to whip the chains off the 600s for a closer inspection of the issue.Appears you're right however..Strange the manual shows no pictures of that orientation,,they seem to have flat out but that may be just a cheap print job..

Hmmm..I dunno. I've inspected all my 600s (whipped chain and sprocket off one) and if the raised bit is to the external on them then their is a gap between the retaining plate/bolts to sprocket..If you tighten those bolts like that all you'd do is bend the retainer plate at the bolt on point as it's wider than the raised bit on the sprocket and their is no solid surface below it..just a 5mm maybe more gap..You'd need some washers to fill those gaps to make it right in my mind,, My C/S sprockets are staying flat to the outside unless someone can convince me different.

Edited by Horri

With the OEM sprocket on the XR650L the rubber damper goes on the outside (away from the cases). Most aftermarket sprockets have a flat side (flat with the teeth) and a side that is further out from the sprocket teeth, similar to the rubber damper, but not rubber. Since the OEM sprocket has the flat side towards the case, I always mount the aftermarket sprocket the same way (flat side towards the case). :banana:

With the OEM sprocket on the XR650L the rubber damper goes on the outside (away from the cases). Most aftermarket sprockets have a flat side (flat with the teeth) and a side that is further out from the sprocket teeth, similar to the rubber damper, but not rubber. Since the OEM sprocket has the flat side towards the case, I always mount the aftermarket sprocket the same way (flat side towards the case). :banana:

Yep..Well all I'll say is that in no way does the cs sprocket on any of my bikes end up looking like the picture posted here if you had the raised bit to the outer..maybe it's cheap sprockets on my 600s and they are somehow different to the 650,,just doesn't work for me having the raised to the outside with the sprockets I have on my bikes

OK i got some pics now of the two possible different setups.

the first two are with the flat side out no letters.

IMG_0290.jpg

IMG_0293.jpg

the next one is raised side out with letters

IMG_0297.jpg

The 2nd way is correct, but that is not the correct sprocket for the bike.

The bolt holes should come all the way out to the keeper.

No way to tell if the offset is actually correct.

If you need to run that sprocket, put washers behind the bolts, the washer stack being the same thickness as the raised portion.

Dave

Dave

""The 2nd way is correct, but that is not the correct sprocket for the bike""

.Thing is that is the way all the 600 sprockets I have are,,They are purchased from a Honda dealer..I think either way does with the proviso on washers/spacers to fill those gaps if they are present on the 600 and if you want to run the sprocket that way around.. TBH I've been running all my bikes flat side out since I've had them,,No weirdness to any components associated with the chain/sprockets has occured because of it.,,out of interest does the 650 run the same size chain as the 600s??..520s I think correct for the 600..

Edited by Horri

""The 2nd way is correct, but that is not the correct sprocket for the bike""

.Thing is that is the way all the 600 sprockets I have are,,They are purchased from a Honda dealer..I think either way does with the proviso on washers/spacers to fill those gaps if they are present on the 600 and if you want to run the sprocket that way around.. TBH I've been running all my bikes flat side out since I've had them,,No weirdness to any components associated with the chain/sprockets has occured because of it.,,out of interest does the 650 run the same size chain as the 600s??..520s I think correct for the 600..

The XR650L runs a 110 link 520 chain stock.

I'm thinking the 600 must be different than the 650L if that's an OEM sprocket for the 600. I wouldn't run the sprocket the way you have it in the 2nd set of pics with the gap between the keeper and the sprocket ... I'd even be weary to run it that way with washers to take up the gap.

If you've always run it flat side out and had no problems, I'd say keep on doin' it. :banana::eek: