The mind is the limit

• Experts

Have you ever wondered if you're thinking too much when you're at the races? In Baseball they call it "Full Mind - Empty Bat". Riding Motocross well or performing most any sport well requires a different state of mind than ordinary people have in their normal day to day lives. This day to day type of mind is more analytical, analyzing what has happened before and what might happen in the future, it's also judgmental and constantly thinking. Our minds are programmed to do this in order to protect us and it's been doing this for thousands of years through evolution. But there is also another part of our minds that has evolved for even longer, that is the mind that is in the NOW, in the moment, realizing what is happening in each moment. It is not thinking what has happened before or what might happen in the future, it's not analyzing things, it's just reacting to the now. For some people this may come naturally, especially young people, for others it takes regular practice. One way to start is to notice your thoughts, watch them instead of watching from them. Notice that they are just thoughts and don't put too much importance on them. Instead of thinking so much, which we all do naturally, just experience each moment. Instead of focusing on your thoughts, focus on what is going on in the present moment, even if you think there is nothing going on.

We can't control what other people do, we can only control what we do. No one can physic you out, you are the only one who can allow yourself to be physiced out from your thoughts. Remember, they are just thoughts; they don't have to mean anything. Don't try to stop your thoughts, that’s impossible. Just watch them instead of attaching yourself to them.

I hope this helps you race to your potential,

Good luck,

Gary Semics

www.garysemics.com

Gary, its so funny you bring that up. I have such a problem riding when I'm not being chased by someone OR chasing someone. Its exactly what you said, there is too much analyzation being done. I find myself getting super tired and actually unable to complete a decent moto by myself. But if I attach myself to someone my speed, everything works fine and I immediately get in the groove.

Its funny, I never recalled this problem happening when I roadraced, it seems to only be from MX, probably since I'm still new to it, I'm still analyzing too much.

Good tip! thanks

• Experts
Gary, its so funny you bring that up. I have such a problem riding when I'm not being chased by someone OR chasing someone. Its exactly what you said, there is too much analyzation being done. I find myself getting super tired and actually unable to complete a decent moto by myself. But if I attach myself to someone my speed, everything works fine and I immediately get in the groove.

Its funny, I never recalled this problem happening when I roadraced, it seems to only be from MX, probably since I'm still new to it, I'm still analyzing too much.

Good tip! thanks

It may help you to challange yourself. Try going as fast and as smooth as possable without making any mistakes. focus on just what is happening and nothing else. That's one of the great things about riding, it can take your mind off of all distractions.

Hope this helps you find the flow.

www.garysemics.com

My mind screws with me all the time now that I'm riding with an injury. Before my thoughts were always focused on the hunt for the guy ahead of me, even if he was in a different class. Now I spend way too much time focusing on the track and what I can and can't do so I don't aggravate my injury.

I've started doing one thing that has somewhat helped me clear my head for at least a little bit of time. I now try to put in my fastest lap on the last lap of my last moto. Kind of a 'I can beat the fatigue' sort of thing, but also a 'put all my focus into the race instead of the track' sort of thing. I don't always pull it off, but I have noticed that I'm not thinking about my injury as much on that lap since by then I've worked myself into the groove of how I put together a lap on that track.