Looking to bump both sons up one notch - dad is nervous!

My oldest son (16) is wanting to get a 450. AND I have found a nice 07', YZ450 for a good price. The youngest son, (14) has grown almost a foot in the last year and is wanting his brothers yz125. This has been the plan all along. (don"t tell the wife though) Its just, I'm a little nervous now the time is getting near. Both boys handle their bikes pretty good now, so its not really the moving up that worries me. Both seem to ride within their limits pretty well. And size wise, both are big enough for the bigger bikes. (I'm the shortest now at 5'9") I just don"t want to regret this and have my wife remind me every day!

The questions I have are: is there anything, prone to the 07', yz450 that I should look for? The bike is stock. Right down to the tires. Which tells me it's not been rode alot. It looks good. Just wondering if theres common problems on this year to look for. (other than the usual stuff)

THANKS!!

Ohh... 125 2t to 450 4t? I'll be the first to say; probably not a good idea. I think one of the biggest reasons is a 450 is very temperamental with the throttle. What I mean is, if you have whisky throttle or likewise use the throttle inappropriately by accident, there is so much power everywhere across the power band, it could give you quite the jolt. Also, the 450 is a heavier bike and its more difficult to ride fast, so why put him at a disadvantage? If he can learn how to toss around a 250f, he'll wind up being a better rider in the long run. I'd start him on a 250f first and see how he fairs. I know a bunch of MX families and thats what mostly all of them wind up doing. I don't know anyone who's aloud their kids to have 450's, heck one family has a 250 2t and the pa won't let either kid ride it.

Just my .02 cents!

Thing is, hes 6'1 at 210 (not fat or even full grown). He rides with 250f's and usually pulls off from most (except the really fast guys). He's pretty good with the 125. I really don"t think the 250f is much of a step up from where he's at. It might be slightly up and to the right, but not nearly as big as from the 85 to the 125. Thats the one I really worry about. My oldest son has a pretty good head on his shoulders. I really believe he will respect the bike more than my youngest will the 125. They both have rode my 250f and I believe the oldest would not be very satisfied after a short time on one of his own. I have looked for a long time for a 250 2stroke, but can't seem to find anything but old ones that have had a rough life. He has rode a 250 2t and liked it. Just finding a nice, newer one that they don't want new price for is hard around us.

BTW the oldest has been riding bikes and quads for the last 11 years. (If that makes a difference.)

Edited by asfasasu3

I'm not trying to be rude, but you mean to tell me that you are looking at a 07 yz450 and can't find a clean newer 250 2t, I find it hard to believe. My .02, a 250 2t is a safer more obvious transition for him, take your time and wait for a good 250 2t to come along your patience will be rewarded:thumbsup:

Thing is, hes 6'1 at 210 (not fat or even full grown). He rides with 250f's and usually pulls off from most (except the really fast guys). He's pretty good with the 125.

Ohh big boy! I have a friend who is in the same boat, a bit older but he is a HUGE guy 225lb and 6 ft3, he has similar issues to what your son has, he's pretty dam quick on his 250f, but because of his bulk and size, its actually slowing him down.

Yea, when I think of 16 year old MX riders/racers, I just have a vision of a 110lb 5ft 7" rebel without a cause riding like Barcia with the throttle open full all the time, bouncing off the rev limiter constantly. LOL

Umm, I found a bunch of 250 2t's that arn't too old in my local area (southern california) so they do exist. Maybe in close-up, they are clapped out, but they don't look bad on initial viewing. IDK about doing a 450 4t vs 250 2t, they have different riding styles, so it really depends on what HE wants and can ride.

Here are a few links I dug up for ya from my area:

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/mcy/1866232821.html

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/ant/mcy/1864119082.html

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/ant/mcy/1860811206.html

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv/mcy/1866838052.html

Problem with all those bikes is they are in CA. not IN. Shipping a bike across the country is a little more money than what I want to spend , and I never even get to actually see or ride the bike first? I don't think so.

We bought the 450. My son loves it! He likes the fact it pulls him so much easier than the 125. (I believe if you can ride a 125 fairly fast, and in control, most anything else is going to be easier to ride. You HAVE to learn throttle and clutch control to make a 125 fast) The 450 is stock. And we paid about the same price as all the 2t bikes listed above. He doesn't seem to even notice the extra weight. And the 450 is actually shorter in the seat than the 125. Making it even easier for him to man handle.

On the other hand, the youngest son took over the 125 yesterday. That was the one I was worried about. Like I mentioned, the way it was setting, the 125 was tall. The yourger son is about 5'8" at 135lbs. In 7 hrs of riding yesterday, he only had problems one time with its seat height. And even then, he was quick enough to hop off before it went over. He seemed to get along alot better than what I figured. He said it was ALOT easier to ride than the 85. (not near as pipey) All in all, I think we have an 85 forsale.