Engine problems need HELP!!!!!!!!!!

Hey wazup, I know some of yaw have probably read one of posts about getting a new crf450 and trying to get used to it. I've been getting really good at controlling it, but something in the engine broke. I was riding it around the yard and I started hearing some rattling noise in the engine, I didn't know if there was something wrong so I kept riding it. The next day after I started it up it was still rattling, when I was on my way to close by trail I heard something pop, it scared the hell out of me and I helld on to the clutch in case the engine quits running (I was going kinda fast) but its still running, so I turned around went back home (slowly) Im trying to get my dad to take the engine apart but he's always bussy. Anyone thinks they know what the problem is? I got a feeling it has something to do with the system that moves the valves.

if anything is broke in your engine it probably wouldnt still be running

if it makes the sound at low speeds while trying to accelerate it could be the ol' loose drive chain slap that these bikes are known for

as far as the "pop" goes i cant tell you without more specific info

It could be the driving valves system even if the engine is still running. It happened to me unfortunately. :D

It was NOT due to engine failure but to something external to Honda parts (the flywheel I'm using - it is NOT the trailtech one). 🙂

Something get off of that and get in between the timing chain and the flywheel itself. Before get broken it added so much tension to force opening the timing chain tensioner (I found it completely opened, later). In such condition, immediately the intake valves started to hit the piston. The mech. explained me that with a loose chain, the valve sprocket has the tendency to jump under resistance offered by the springs valves tension, introducing as a result a delay in freeing them (removing the cam) from closing back completely.

The sympton is: you can hear hitting, the engine is still running, but of course you can easily hardly damage piston and valves if you insist on running. Luckily it doesn't jump completely on the chain: in that case.....A LOT OF $$$$$$$$ (and dead engine).

Any case I had to change my piston,valves, chain, tensioner but always better than having to change also the head, crankshaft, crankcase, etc. etc.

May be your case is something different (I hope so) but..... The first thing I would check (easy to do) is your chain tensioner.

My 02 has started making a ticking noise when shaken left to right. First thought it was the floats, but upon futher ivestigation it appears to be in the transmission? The dealer had both sides of the engine apart to find the ticking sound inside the center cases? Runs fine, shifts fine, very strange.

Next time you have your bike tied down on your trailer, shake it back and forth and see if you have this ticking noise. 🙂