Tips for a new racer??

So next year around Spring 2011, Im gonna try racing my dirtbike for the first time. Ive never raced ever before; just offroading is all I do. Are there any tips as to how I can take the track, how I can train up for it, etc?

Reading this site is a great place to start. Lots of threads about fitness, guys struggling with track obstacles and guys just starting or returning to racing.

Then start hitting all your local tracks on practice days. Find guys you can pace and chase them around the track. Racing with a bunch of guys is a lot different than just playing around on a track. If you need to work on jumping or turning, do as much as you can before you start racing. Remember, you're preparing for a race where you have to maintain a constant pace. When you practice, don't just putt around one lap and put some effort into the next, put in an honest effort for about 4 to 6 laps. As you improve, go longer.

No matter how much you think you prepared, it will be so much more thrilling, frustrating, scary and exhausting than you think. Just have fun with it and don't worry about trying to pull off a win in your first race. If you do, it's a bonus................and, you'll probably have to go up a class pretty soon. ­čśĆ

Remember to have fun! Practice is you friend, hitting the gym never hurts!

And last but not least, if your gonna spend any money on your bike or have spare dough, dont worry about a pipe and all the fluff, get your suspension done!

Remember to have fun! Practice is you friend, hitting the gym never hurts!

And last but not least, if your gonna spend any money on your bike or have spare dough, dont worry about a pipe and all the fluff, get your suspension done!

Oh yeah, good point. ­čśĆ

Suspension set up for off-road not always the best for tracks.

I just started riding mx tracks this past November. It is a beast all it's own. The thing I have found useful is to break the track down one obstacle at a time and keep hitting it over and over until you are comfortable with it, then move on to the next obstacle. Once the second one is comfortable, put together the first and second. Then move on to the third, get comfortable, run the first through third together. You will eventually have the whole track down, and have added a lot of seat time. One other thing, once you have the track down, there will always be sections you will struggle with more than others, don't do like most of us and play to our strengths. Put more time in on the problem areas instead of all the "fun" stuff. Keep riding within your limits and just get that seat time, and work on a bit at a time. Eventually all you have to worry about is funding the new addiction!

Don't get hurt even before your race date. Seriously. As the race gets closer you will be tempted to push your luck more and more while reasoning it's good "preparation". Don't do it - use your head and make it your #1 priority to get to (and through) your race in one piece. The race will give you a very good idea what you need to work on. If you can't ride it because you're hurt it will set you back tremendously.

Basically all the things posted before this...Just have fun! Hopefully they have a Beginner class. I dont think anyone has won their first race(legit anyways). Pick a track that suits your abilities also. For example, a national track isnt the best place to run your first race. Suspension(the factory suspension will be sufficient, so long as you set your sag and clickers up) and getting the bike dialed in to comfort your style is more important than spending a bunch of money on all the 'bling' gearexhaust,etc...Also practice is key. The more your on your bike,the better you'll get and more comfortable and second nature it becomes. They say it takes your body 2,000+ times to do something before it becomes muscle memory. Another suggestion, go to a MX school. Gary Semics has schools(obviously lol) that, if I recall, travels around the nation. Gary Bailey does also. Im sure both have DVDs you can buy too. Good luck and safe ridin'.

In Beginner they likely won't let you triple anyway, so you won't have to worry about the larger jumps. The biggest thing to watch out for in beginner class is people not holding their lines. You'll get cut off a couple times, so be ready for it. If its a busy track, you'll have a full gate or close to it, and there is a good chance of some pile ups. My first race I lined out all the way to the outside, not wanting to even try for the holeshot. I went around the outside, there was a pile up on the inside, and I ended up in the top 10 out of the first turn.

Biggest things, prepare, have fun, and don't have any expectations on where you will finish.