Hotcam stage 1

Well, I just purchased a stage 1 off e-bay. Can't wait for it to get here. I mostly enjoy riding the tight trails and steep hill climbs that is why I decided on the stage 1 and am also looking for a little more ooompf if ya know what I mean.

I'll report back when I get it in.

On a side note. Do break-in instructions come with it? I have about 5 hrs on this oil. Should I break in with new oil or would this oil be fine? I have also heard that after the break-in I can adjust the valves back to Honda spec.

Thanks for the help guys.

😏 :smirk: :cheers:

Well, I just purchased a stage 1 off e-bay. Can't wait for it to get here. I mostly enjoy riding the tight trails and steep hill climbs that is why I decided on the stage 1 and am also looking for a little more ooompf if ya know what I mean.

I'll report back when I get it in.

On a side note. Do break-in instructions come with it? I have about 5 hrs on this oil. Should I break in with new oil or would this oil be fine? I have also heard that after the break-in I can adjust the valves back to Honda spec.

Thanks for the help guys.

😏 :smirk: :cheers:

the stage one i think would be good for you as it keeps the power band in the low to mid range with an increased top end. I am going to go with a stage 2 when i do because i right in some more open stuff and want a bit more top end.

I won't say anything about the oil but i am almost certain you do return the valves back to factory specs afterwords.

Thanks for the link.

Most of my riding is in 2nd gear. So I'm feeling pretty good about my decision for the stage one. I like to open it up too when I get the chance but I'm okay with what I have at the top.

I should have it mid next week. Then I can drop it in and ride it a few times before the bow-hunting season falls upon us here and then I will be on the ATV.

I know what you are thinking but the only time I ride the ATV is during the hunts. To tell ya the truth I don't care to ride it.

Thanks for the link.

Most of my riding is in 2nd gear. So I'm feeling pretty good about my decision for the stage one. I like to open it up too when I get the chance but I'm okay with what I have at the top.

I should have it mid next week. Then I can drop it in and ride it a few times before the bow-hunting season falls upon us here and then I will be on the ATV.

I know what you are thinking but the only time I ride the ATV is during the hunts. To tell ya the truth I don't care to ride it.

Sounds good!

ATV related: man, it's all good. you are using it for a purpose, as long as you aren't doing donuts in the loam, i don't care. You can't carry a deer on a dirt bike. lol

Okay, my cam should be in tomorrow so I got the bike all prepped tonight for tomorrow. Washed it for the second time, warmed it up to drain all the oil. Got the seat, tank, and decomp off. I left all the 8mil bolts tight because the engine was still pretty warm. Don't know if that makes any difference or not but I'll take the valve/cam cover off tomorrow when it's cold.

If you cant tell, I'm a little excited. :eek::ride:😉

One question, how long should I go before I return the lash back to Honda spec. From the link above 30 minutes at around 3000 rpm is break in. Should I take it out for a few rides before I return it to spec?

Thanks for the help guys. :banana:

Got it in and did the break in on Thursday. Took it out over the weekend for some trial riding and...

I'm disappointed. The bike seemed to bog down more now then it did before I had to work the clutch more instead of just powering the front tire up and over things.

I don't know, the only thing I can think of is maybe it had a different cam in it to begin with. I will take some pics of the old cam and it's markings and maybe someone can put a positive I.D. on it for me.

One thing I did like better, it is easier to start, even with the auto decomp. missing.