NEED Serious advice On new moto PLEASE!!!

People, I'm looking into buying a new moty! My mate said he would sell me is 03 YZ250F for 7,650. Its only done 14 hrs work and has had some slight enginework, bars, anodised wheels and bits like that... But i will be doing more trail riding then racing. i wont be racing serious, only muckin round at most. but i will get most use out of bike in the bush. This seems like such a good deal and i could get the lights put on it and set it up for Rec Reg. But im not sure whether or not to just get a WR250F or a WR400. but then if i wanna do some racing its not setup properly.

Im in a situation and its stressing me... help would be appreciated!! thanks.

It's easier to make a WR YZ like then make a YZ WR like. The lighting issue will cost much more to add onto a YZ (lighting coil, lights, switches, etc.) than take off of a WR. If you mostly do woods and street riding, the transmission (faster top speed) and WR's engine response (i.e. timing) is more tractable. The YZ timing revs quicker, so in the woods, you must have better throttle control to handle the YZ timing - but once used to the YZ timing, it's a blast! 🙂 If you plan to put a lot of time on the street, then get the WR since it can handle higher speeds better with its transmission (YZ's top speed = 65-75 mph, WR's = 85-95 mph).

Both are good choices. If you MX alot and are agressive, the yz is for you. If you need a heaflight on that yz, check and see how much the conversion is. You'll need light, switch, stator and some additional wiring. Tally up the cost and see if its more than the WR. All the extras on the yz are wash. Extras don't add that much value unless it is high dollar performance part i.e.pipe, vortex. High speeds are better on the WR (extra gear) E-start is nice but both start absurdly easy. Maybe that'll help....It looks like av and I were posting at the same time but we were on the same page. The WR is probably your best choice...I know its hard to pass up a good deal, like the YZ but make sure and get what you'll be using it for.