Re-installed my rekluse..........

I got a boxed Rekluse Z-start clutch included when i bought my 2005 450X earlier this year and have had it installed before but i hadn't got the 'spacing' correct so it didn't function too well!!! (completely my own fault 😏)

Well i've decided to put it back in (properly this time:ride:) and i kept reading about the ideal set-up being the utilising of a LHRB. Rekluse can supply the required components but the costs involved are horrendous so i set about finding a cheaper way of doing it:thumbsup:

After some research (and not being able to afford a KTM magura clutch to convert) i stumbled across a cheaper alternative to enable me to try out this left hand rear braking malarky. I found a scooter/moped breaker and bought a LH brake master cylinder assembly off a Peugeot Speedfight rev 'n go (not all models have a hydraulic rear brake) complete with the extra long brake line that goes to the rear wheel caliper. I removed the complete honda rear brake mechanism apart from the caliper (obviously:p) and attached the master cylinder assy and routed the long brake pipe until it attached to the rear caliper, the 'formed' ends of the brake line aren't perfectly aligned but they do the job. It was a little awkward to bleed by myself but i managed it in the end and now have a working LHRB:banana:

Total cost £15 (around $23)

I'm on an MX track practice day tomorrow (not the best test) but looking forward to trying it out on some technical stuff soon.

nb. I believe rekluse offer an adapter that allows you to keep the footbrake as well but again they are costly.

ian

Once i got used to the LHRB i was really impressed with the combination:banana:

here's a couple of pics from yesterdays practice track

me on my 450X

scotsyinmidair_2984-1.jpg

me on my mates CCM604

scotsyCCM604-1.jpg

my son Stewart on 'our' 450R

stewartgetsallstylish.jpg

stewartgetsliftoff.jpg

Stewart 450R and Drew 450R

stewartanddrewgettingBIGAIR.jpg

Sounds like you've found an inexpensive alternative. Might have to go to the MC salvage yard and poke around a bit.

I think all you need to keep the brake pedal and add the LHRB is the special banjo bolt at the pedal master cylinder, this way either master cylinder pressurizes the caliper. Not 100% positive but in theory makes sense to me.

Sounds like you've found an inexpensive alternative. Might have to go to the MC salvage yard and poke around a bit.

I think all you need to keep the brake pedal and add the LHRB is the special banjo bolt at the pedal master cylinder, this way either master cylinder pressurizes the caliper. Not 100% positive but in theory makes sense to me.

I think you need a valve in each line to the caliper or every time you apply one of the master cylinders it will send fluid into the other master cylinder fluid chamber. Than what do you do to allow the fluid to return to the master cylinder?:banana:

I cut over to the lhrb and kept the foot pedal and it has come in handy a number of times. Not so much in riding situations as once you get used to it, you use the lhrb but the foot brake is invaluable when you're stopped on a steep hill and want to use both hands for something, like adjust your goggle, drink, etc.

The bike rolls backwards on hills with the rekluse and if all you have are hand controls for brakes, you're forced to keep one hand on the bars or back into the hill etc. to be able to use both hands. The foot brake solves this problem so I'll be keeping both as I think I get the best of both worlds. YMMV

I cut over to the lhrb and kept the foot pedal and it has come in handy a number of times. Not so much in riding situations as once you get used to it, you use the lhrb but the foot brake is invaluable when you're stopped on a steep hill and want to use both hands for something, like adjust your goggle, drink, etc.

The bike rolls backwards on hills with the rekluse and if all you have are hand controls for brakes, you're forced to keep one hand on the bars or back into the hill etc. to be able to use both hands. The foot brake solves this problem so I'll be keeping both as I think I get the best of both worlds. YMMV

Interesting!!! how did you do it? is it as easy as getting a 'longer' banjo bolt and just bolting the extra brakeline on top of the master cylinder?

What is the rekluse 'adapter' actually for?

any pics of your set-up?

Thanks for all the replies:thumbsup:

If you go to the Rekluse website you can look at the instructions for the LHRB. It actually moves the reservoir up to the bars and you put an insert where the reservoir currently is, totally different. My idea won't work, you need the kit if you want to keep the pedal. I can't imagine not having a brake pedal myself. Guess I'll just keep saving my beer cans so I can get the full blown kit.