Blown head? I don't know what happened!

So I was riding around today.

Just got a new clutch cable and I was trying to fine tune it on my 1997 RM125.

It was nicely warmed up after I rode it around for a little while.

Took it on a straight way and gunned the throttle. I was shifting through all the gears when all of a sudden, everything just stops.

No fore-warning or indication of this happening, it's just like everything shut down.

Brought it to a stop, and noticed the spark plug cable was loose.

Hmm.

If you're familiar with spark plugs, theres a small conduit that unscrews on the top of plug to reveal threads.

Well, with my dirtbike I have to unscrew the top piece in order to have the cable plug into the spark plug. I think the PO just got one of the conduits lodge up in there and couldnt get it out.

Anyways, I noticed that inside the cable, theres was no longer anything there to attach to the saprk plug threads. Almost as if the small conduit lodge up there originally got blown off?

Anyways, the bike has a coolant leak now too, and I can't pin point from where.

It looks like it's coming the coolant hose attached to the top of the piston.

I don't think it's coming from the head though. But this leak DEFINITLY happened after the bike shut down.

Can't get the darn thing to start at all anymore.

Any ideas?

-Brian

So I was riding around today.

Just got a new clutch cable and I was trying to fine tune it on my 1997 RM125.

It was nicely warmed up after I rode it around for a little while.

Took it on a straight way and gunned the throttle. I was shifting through all the gears when all of a sudden, everything just stops.

No fore-warning or indication of this happening, it's just like everything shut down.

Brought it to a stop, and noticed the spark plug cable was loose.

Hmm.

If you're familiar with spark plugs, theres a small conduit that unscrews on the top of plug to reveal threads.

Well, with my dirtbike I have to unscrew the top piece in order to have the cable plug into the spark plug. I think the PO just got one of the conduits lodge up in there and couldnt get it out.

Anyways, I noticed that inside the cable, theres was no longer anything there to attach to the saprk plug threads. Almost as if the small conduit lodge up there originally got blown off?

Anyways, the bike has a coolant leak now too, and I can't pin point from where.

It looks like it's coming the coolant hose attached to the top of the piston.

I don't think it's coming from the head though. But this leak DEFINITLY happened after the bike shut down.

Can't get the darn thing to start at all anymore.

Any ideas?

-Brian

Yeah, quit trying to kick it over and tear the bike down. Never understood why people keep trying to kick over a bike that obviously broke something, it only causes more problems. :banana:

You need to check the head, and the jug as well as the piston and such. From the sounds of it you probably cracked your head.

Yeah, quit trying to kick it over and tear the bike down. Never understood why people keep trying to kick over a bike that obviously broke something, it only causes more problems. :eek:

You need to check the head, and the jug as well as the piston and such. From the sounds of it you probably cracked your head.

I am aware.

I kicked it over twice to see if it would start and thats after I troubleshooted some of the electrical system. This wasn't a 30 minute desperate attempt to revive my bike by kicking it :banana:

I need more credit here!

Anyways, head is not cracked

Piston looks good. There is compression.

I can feel/hear it when I kick over the bike and I can feel it when the clutch is engaged. It's hard to rotate the wheel.

That's a good sign!

Jug is not cracked either.

Here's the interesting part.

I decided to see if a spark was getting sent to the plug.

Tried kicking it over with the plug removed from the head and the cable.

The cable shocked me through the insulation! So it's delivering energy.

But when i plugged in the spark plug, it wasn't delivering any spark to plug at all.

I assume you should see a split second arch, but there was nothing.

Possible blown coil?

Like I said earlier, there was an old conduit lodged up in the cable, and after the bike died, it was no longer there. Like it got blown out or something.

Possible power surge?

-Brian

Sounds like the cap is bad. Buy another one. They're cheap. Reinstall and :banana:

By cap are you just referring to the piece that plugs into the sparkplug?

And can I just go to any general auto parts store and splice a new cap onto the stock wire?

-Brian

Ok thanks for the info!

I'll check it out.

Upon further dismantle of the bike, I removed the ignition coil and cable/cap from the frame.

Took a peek inside the cap and noticed there are ZERO metal contacts.

All plastic. Guessing the old ones must have fallen out somehow.

It's a mystery.

But that explains why I have no spark.

It also explains why when the bike died, I noticed the cap was off the plug.

I'll start there and keep this thread updated.

-Brian