Just changed oil and it took more than the 1.01 Ltrs

Okay so I'm pretty mechanically inclined and do all my own engine work, but for the past 6 years its been on a Yamaha.

I just changed the oil and the little worthless kawasaki book they give you says with filter 1.01 Ltrs (Dry 1.27 ltrs) of oil and when I changed the oil it took what is approx. 1.3 ltrs. Is this normal? I'm gauging everything off the sight glass on the side of the engine and it's right at the top, maybe a smidge over. When I tip the bike over a hair it's right there.

Normal?

I use a ratio rite and measure the oil out and then pour it in. Like you said, its in the sight glass but i gotta tip the bike slightly to see it fill up halfway. No issues for me.

But i got screwed by overfilling my 2 stroke, so im real sketchy about over filling. I over filled my 2 stroke and all the gear oil sucked into my cylinder and blew a bunch of seals and made a smokey mess.

I doubt that a few CC's over is gonna blow this thing up but I'm a little concerned about how much it took and if it's normal. You shouldn't have to tip anything over to measure the sight glass oil height, it should be on level ground when measured and it looks good. I'm just confused as to why it took that much oil.

I agree with you. I had this exact same question in my head when i first got my 06. I just like to eliminate that slight doubt that an over fill (no matter how small) could have affected anything because i know i filled it to spec.

My truck calls for 6.5q of oil but i fill it to 7.1q to get it to read right on the dipstick. Haha im opposite on my bike. Like i said, im paranoid from when i filled my 2 stroke.

I just changed the oil and the little worthless kawasaki book they give you says with filter 1.01 Ltrs (Dry 1.27 ltrs) of oil and when I changed the oil it took what is approx. 1.3 ltrs. Is this normal? I'm gauging everything off the sight glass on the side of the engine and it's right at the top, maybe a smidge over. When I tip the bike over a hair it's right there.

Normal in my 06. When I pour it in, oil sits in places inside the case where it normally does not, compared with if you run the engine and stop it then let the oil settle. So when pouring oil in you go by the book and not the sight glass. If you do that you'll see that the sight glass level can vary. It will spit oil out the case breather when overfilled.

Normal in my 06. When I pour it in, oil sits in places inside the case where it normally does not, compared with if you run the engine and stop it then let the oil settle. So when pouring oil in you go by the book and not the sight glass. If you do that you'll see that the sight glass level can vary. It will spit oil out the case breather when overfilled.

Got it thanks. I ended up draining a few CC's of oil to bring it down to spec. I guess the sight glass is only good to make sure you still have some oil in there and not so much for oil change levels. That works.

Is there a check bolt for the head to make sure oil is flowing?

I had this same question today.

from cold start, If I run the bike...on idle for 2 mins, then stop and wait 2 mins. Oil level is right in the middle

but

sometimes after a ride, when I stop the bike..the oil level looks like its high/full.

Is all the above expected ?

so I guess you should not measure oil level after the bike's been running for a while ?

Only measure oil level when it's in a container before you pour it in the engine.

well I did do that.

but like I said, it shows different levels when been riding bike for a while

vs cold start - run for 2 mins - stop..wait 2 mins...check level (then it shows dead in the middle on the oil level glass.)

well I did do that.
Then you're done. That is the only time you measure anything. Assuming your engine does not leak or burn oil like an old car.
but like I said, it shows different levels when been riding bike for a while vs cold start - run for 2 mins - stop..wait 2 mins...check level (then it shows dead in the middle on the oil level glass.)
Use the sight glass to check the color of your oil, and to see if you remembered to fill it. But not to check the amount of oil. There are a few areas it can pool in there.

Then you're done. That is the only time you measure anything. Assuming your engine does not leak or burn oil like an old car.

Use the sight glass to check the color of your oil, and to see if you remembered to fill it. But not to check the amount of oil. There are a few areas it can pool in there.

I guess I'll be draining my fresh oil and starting over again. Damn that sucks.

Everything I have heard is that the sight glass is really a very inaccurate way of gauging the oil level. Be on the safe side and measure it out when filling it per the manual. The only thing I use my oil gauge for is making sure I have some oil in it. I do notice mine sitting right in the middle after it is idling on the stand, but after getting back from a few laps it looks full. So don't let that worry you.

Everything I have heard is that the sight glass is really a very inaccurate way of gauging the oil level. Be on the safe side and measure it out when filling it per the manual. The only thing I use my oil gauge for is making sure I have some oil in it. I do notice mine sitting right in the middle after it is idling on the stand, but after getting back from a few laps it looks full. So don't let that worry you.

yup that's exactly what I see too...thanks for confirming.

and I measured/poured exactly what the manual says.

so is good to go then

So let me understand the manual proper. If it is dry, it requires a hair over 1 liter correct? So if you pulled both drain plugs, filter and kicked the engine with the kill switch on, then you could be considered dry?

no, I think dry is considered after a motor rebuild and all oil cleaned from inside the motor after a mineral wash.