I the tech @ work installed a Dyno jet kit with a 160 main, a new needle (that comes with the kit and a 45 pilot. Now when I start out and go I pull the clutch in to go from first to second (doesn't matter from what gear to what) it feels as if the brakes are being put on. Also when I "give it a bit" to get the r.p.m.'s up a bit when down shifting not much happens. Prior to all this work the bike ran fine, just the typical crappy idol and mid range response. He also said that it is a little rich and to drill some 1" hole and put those little filter pods on the top side of the air box and to pull the snorkel right off.

What do you all think? Thanks.

It's an '09 DR 650. I'm explaining it the best I can. It feels as if the needle wasn't installed right (not sure though). The c clip is in the fourth position down from the top as the directions say. Not sure if there is a washer that goes back into it or what. I didn't do it my self. When it is cutting out is about when the needle would kick in (around mid roll on). Thanks.

Ok, a little more info.

Yes, there are shims and the like that are supposed to be installed in a specific order on the needle. Being out of place can greatly affect the performance. The needle comes into play at any engine speed above idle. At about 1/2 throttle, you are coming off the straight diameter of the needle and onto the taperd part. The taperd part effect is varied by the clip position. If the guy thinks it is a bit rich, why did he not adust the carb? In any case, try the clip on the second position (from the top/flat) Be careful removing the retainer and watch the poder of the shims. A shop manual and some parts fiche will show the correct sequence.