Z400 carb leaking gas!!

I have a '08 Z400 that seems to leak gas after I don't ride it for 4 weeks or so. Last time I took the carb out and disassembled it, then put it back together and all was well. Tonight it leaked all over when I started it up...please help me with some ideas on what to do! Thanks!!

Well, I pulled it out onto my driveway and had my son start it up while I gave the carb a few good taps - it stopped leaking. I'm guessing that the bowl dries out while sitting between rides (sometimes a month or so), and then it gets a little kinked when gas fills the bowl, causing it to stick and then the needle doesn't close off the gas intake properly - hence the leaking.

I would also suggest taking the carb apart and inspecting the condition of the float and needle and seat. Do you run an inline fuel filter? If you have dirt in your fuel, it is possible for dirt to find it's way into the needle and seat, which would cause it to leak. While you have the carb apart, blow out the orifices with an air hose, and you can use some spray carb cleaner as well.

Most likely the gas evaporates and leaves a crusty varnish behind. You may want to try a fuel stabilizer and see if that will help. Or try a different brand of fuel.

Good idea - I'll try the stabilizer and see how it goes...thanks!

I would also suggest taking the carb apart and inspecting the condition of the float and needle and seat. Do you run an inline fuel filter? If you have dirt in your fuel, it is possible for dirt to find it's way into the needle and seat, which would cause it to leak. While you have the carb apart, blow out the orifices with an air hose, and you can use some spray carb cleaner as well.

Did that last time (recently). It was nice and clean inside the carb and all of the orifices. I think I'll try the gas stabilizer and see how it goes. Thank you for your responses!!

I think that today's gas is such crap that everyone should start using "Sea-Foam" as a gas stabilizer and cleaner to prevent problems like this in the future. It is affordable and a typical can will do 20 gallons of gas.......even more if you read the can but I do a 1/4 can to every 5 gallons of fuel.