Carb slide drilling question

I just bought the 03 KLX. It has the Mikuni. The stock metal tank on the bike was full of rust. I was getting the desert tank anyway so no big deal, and the petcock screens were in great shape. But the gas smelled very old and I figure it gummed up the carb. The bottom of the throttle in low gears it very twitchy/non-responsive. So I'll be pulling the carb to clean it well. While I'm in there I'll check jetting in it. The snorkel is gone (air box not cut, though) and it has an FMF pipe so I'm guessing it may not be stock jetting. I was told that while it's apart I should drill the slide. What esperiences do you all have with that? Also, any suggestions as to what jetting it should be?

Desertjul , How big is the intake hole in the top of your airbox ? If it is 3x3 then your carb may have been rejetted , but you may still have the factory needle . There are videos on rejetting on youtube . Type in DRZ 3x3 mod and it will explain how to go about it . I would get the JD jet kit as it has the most bits in it , needles , jets , pilotjet , floatbowl screws . From the factory these bikes are neutered , so opening up the intake and changing the jetting and exhaust really makes a difference , greg :banana:

From what I can remember drilling the slide will increase the speed that the carb slide will move...

But I remember being told (by an old bloke who wouldnt stop talking :banana:) if it moves too quickly, it can cause the engine to stall...

How true that is, I dont know, but if you want a better throttle response, I think you will need to get a Keihin FCR

I've already been considering changing out the carb altogether. But since I just shelled out the dough for the bike and the farkles and parts I figure I'll make it rideable for a while with the Mikuni. The air box isn't cut yet but no snorkle and has FMF pipe so I'll see what jetting and needle it has. Mainly just looking for some input on the drilling, and if there are recommendations on needle and jetting based on what I know. I'll post up again when I tear it apart and see what's in it. Right now my only problem with the way it runs is it has little to no throttle response at the beginning in lower gears, ie 1st/2nd. When it does catch, it catches kinda hard. Plus I don't have that smooth crawl throttle when I need it in technical areas. Hopefully most of that is simply gummy residue from old gas that I can clean up.

Neither Eddie, DynoJet, or JD Jetting advise drilling the slide vacuum vent holes. DynoJet does include slide drills in some of their kits (so it is not an unknown procedure) but not for the DRZ.

Neither Eddie, DynoJet, or JD Jetting advise drilling the slide vacuum vent holes. DynoJet does include slide drills in some of their kits (so it is not an unknown procedure) but not for the DRZ.

Thanx. I'll probably do this tomorrow or Monday. I pick up my rad guards Mon so I'll be tinkering then anyway. Hopefully its already jetted right with the right needle set-up.

Btw, Junure, I'm in Vegas.

Thanx. I'll probably do this tomorrow or Monday. I pick up my rad guards Mon so I'll be tinkering then anyway. Hopefully its already jetted right with the right needle set-up.

Btw, Junure, I'm in Vegas.

Vegas also, south side, maybe well run into you some time. Happy riding:ride:

the slide on the drz already is on the verge of lifting to fast. do not drill it.

Thanx Eddie. I'll stick to settings and possibly a different pilot jet and/or needle. I'm still hopeful it's just gummed up and a good cleaning will take care of it for now. Later down the road maybe I'll change to the FCR