So what's the solution to the rear axle bolt?

I've known for years that the CRF nut is the solution. But I've never encountered the problem.

I change a rear tire perhaps once every 2 weeks, and adjust the chain tension every 50 hrs run time (good o-ring chains dont stretch and roller wear is slow). So the 2+2 mins to take the split pin out+in has never bothered me. The right pin lasts for maybe 20 axle removals, and pack of 10 pins costs about $2.

Take out the cotter pin and torque it to spec. My KX250s have been that way for years and I have never lost a axle nut or had one loosen up.

+1

I do the same thing with no issues of it loosening

• 4 weeks later...
Whats the big deal with the castle nut and cotter pin?

i agree ***'s the big deal it's not like it takes 10min to extract the cotter pin unless you are retarded, your arlready in the mechanics mode if your needing to take the axle off and your going to let a little pin bother you. thats my thoughts though

your arlready in the mechanics mode if your needing to take the axle off and your going to let a little pin bother you. thats my thoughts though
Exactly. I remove the rear axle about once a week and more recently it makes me think of this thread. The cotter pin just needs to be cut on the short side and when installing just slightly bend the overhang so it takes about 20 secs to remove the pin later. I back the nut off a little to load the cotter pin slightly. It's just no problem at all, and you can inspect it instantly. I think some magazine testers just need things to criticize.