Ford Expedition opions needed

We are looking at ford expedtions around 05 and newer. Any opinions. I have never been a fan of the 5.4, but in doing some reading I think they may have worked out the bugs and sparkplugs stay in the head now. Just wondering if anyone has any opinions on them. Thanks in adavance.

Here's the thing on the sparkplugs.....the heads are aluminum, and they really should have more threads in the head.

But, if you follow the procedures correctly for installation, you don't have problems. What happens is, you get someone who forgets they are installing spark plugs in an aluminum head and thinks they are installing lug nuts on a school bus, and strrrrriiiiiiiip goes the threads.

Here's the thing on the sparkplugs.....the heads are aluminum, and they really should have more threads in the head.

But, if you follow the procedures correctly for installation, you don't have problems. What happens is, you get someone who forgets they are installing spark plugs in an aluminum head and thinks they are installing lug nuts on a school bus, and strrrrriiiiiiiip goes the threads.

I saw a program on "power block" on spike, and they had fixed this problem with a kit from ford. But shouldt ford do it. Owell I gues its fixable. I just thought someone here might have an expedition and be able to give me some advice.

and sparkplugs stay in the head now.

Literally!

The 2005 to 2007 5.4l have problems with the spark plug tips breaking off in the head. There's a special tool to remove them, usually about 10min per plug.

Otherwise, the Expeditions have been good vehicles.

Literally!

The 2005 to 2007 5.4l have problems with the spark plug tips breaking off in the head. There's a special tool to remove them, usually about 10min per plug.

Otherwise, the Expeditions have been good vehicles.

So after 07 is the problem fixed?

Did ford do a recall or anything for the tips breaking off on the 05-07 5.4's?

thanks for the opinions. A friend had a 2000 and racked up the miles on it, traded it in for an 06 and they love it. His wife put a ton of miles on it for work. I think the 2000 had near 300k on it.

There's no recall on the spark plugs.

Ford says to replace them at 60K miles to prevent them breaking off. I've done them at 30K and they still break off.

2008 on up have plugs that are threaded all the way down to the electrode.

In all honesty,the spark plug issues won't keep me from buying one.

Ford says to replace them at 60K miles to prevent them breaking off. I've done them at 30K and they still break off.

I recall this problem....

There is a TSB for the proper procedure in removing, and what to do to prevent it from getting carbon buildup again.

http://www.brokensparkplug.com/TSB_08-7-6_Pg1.pdf

It will keep me from buying one. Dad had a 06 5.4 f1shitty and had 3 plugs break off so they pulled the cab and the heads at the dealer. 1500$ spark plug change isn't cool. Now he has 6 running cylinders and won't change the plugs.

It will keep me from buying one. Dad had a 06 5.4 f1shitty and had 3 plugs break off so they pulled the cab and the heads at the dealer. 1500$ spark plug change isn't cool. Now he has 6 running cylinders and won't change the plugs.

Should have taken it to someone who knows what they are doing. No need to remove the cab or heads.

Good thing to know, unfortunately i wasn't around and only heard about it after the fact.

That's the sad thing, too many people never get a second opinion or do some research themselves (internet, word of mouth, even make a phone call) and just give the go-ahead and get rooked.

That's the sad thing, too many people never get a second opinion or do some research themselves (internet, word of mouth, even make a phone call) and just give the go-ahead and get rooked.

Yep the interwebz has saved me hundreds.

We have an 05. It's been a great vehcle. In 2005, the Expy got the 300 HP three valve 5.4 as it's standard engine. This engine was first used in the 2004 F-150's and all of the bugs (the computer programming which resulted in poor throttle response) were worked out by 2005. I'd suggest looking for an 05 or newer as the 3 valve engine has 300hp vs the older 2 valve 5.4 which had 260 hp.

000_0199.jpg

000_0196.jpg