First dirtbike in 15 years...HELP!

Hi All,

Im 30yrs old, 6" and 185lbs. I had bikes growing up on the farm (last one was a CR80), but haven't ridden in over 15 years.

I definitely consider myself a novice rider, but do lots of other sports incl downhill mtn biking so I'm fairly fit and not afraid of a little speed or bumps and bruised.

I'm going to buy a dirt bike within the next 2 weeks and have been doing a ton of reading but still can't find any conclusive reason to buy one bike over another. I will be using it for 90% trail riding, and the occasional day at the track once i get comfortable again.

I do need something with lights as per Alberta regs, so a strictly MX is out of the question.

I'm leaning toward the WR250 at the moment...which from what i've heard would likely be under powered for a more experienced rider but i'm thinking it would suit me for at least a couple years.

Money is not a limiting factor, I just want the best bike for my needs and abilities.

Thanks in advance!

Lights, occasional track day, I'm guessing MX? KTM EXC450. Ride it within your limits, you sound like you kinda know them already. Its managable and tame, built to take anything from casual trail pace to GNCC poundings from a pro.

The WR250 comes in 2 very different models, the "f" which is comperable to the KTM I mentioned and the "R" which is fine for very casual trails/DSing. Pick up the pace and it gets over its head quickly.

Don't overlook the excellent Husqvarna TE250/310 if smaller bore is your thing. Great power/weight, low mass for easy trail control and a legal street plate, in the USA anyway.

I find the 4t bikes easier to control than the 2t like the 200 KTM suggested. Try to get a ride on all of them if you can.

I didn't specify in my first post that what i'm looking for is strictly an offroad bike...when i say "lights" it only means head and tail. I have no intention of riding on the street with this, and don't need a true dual purpose.

To be more specific, i will be riding on crown lands, cut lines etc and MAYBE once i'm comfortable go to the track and try it out.

The message i'm getting from here and other forums is that a 250 4 stroke just wont be enough...but is that still the case even though i've not ridden in many years and will need at least a year to get the hang of riding again?

thanks a lot for all the help already!

250f will have plenty of beans, just needs to be mid up RPM. A 450 KTM SOHCer like the EXC will have more chug, easier to ride. Less shifting, more there to "save" you on a climb etc. when you boff everything else.

Lots of great choices, TE450, KLX450, the CRF450X, TE310 kinda splits the difference but runs more like a 250f.

Thats just the 4t bikes, there are a bunch of 2t bikes to chose from. A KDX200 is cheap, with that comes lower overall performance, but just might be what you need to test the waters and get back into riding. About the friendliest power of any 2t. The 220 is even milder but either get it done. Resell it in a year for what you paid.

250f will have plenty of beans, just needs to be mid up RPM. A 450 KTM SOHCer like the EXC will have more chug, easier to ride. Less shifting, more there to "save" you on a climb etc. when you boff everything else.

Lots of great choices, TE450, KLX450, the CRF450X, TE310 kinda splits the difference but runs more like a 250f.

Thats just the 4t bikes, there are a bunch of 2t bikes to chose from. A KDX200 is cheap, with that comes lower overall performance, but just might be what you need to test the waters and get back into riding. About the friendliest power of any 2t. The 220 is even milder but either get it done. Resell it in a year for what you paid.

Rather than repeat the above, I think this is spot on advice. :banana: To the OP, I came from a similar break at a similar time in life and originally went with a 250 2 stroke MX bike. Bad idea and I now own a TE 310 that I love.

Hi all, thanks a lot for the great replies. i shoulda just kept my mouth shut, gone with the original plan and learned from how things turned out (good or bad).

now i'm reconsidering all the options. One problem with the KTM is that there is only one local dealer here and obviously competition for prices just isn't there.

For those that say a 250 won't be enough, are you all experienced riders who've owned all sorts of bikes? I just don't want to jump on something with too much power and end up racking up on day 1. With that said, i'm sure i'll get the hang of it again after a few weeks/months so....arrrggg....confused!

thanks again!

Mr Hand,

Do you have any friends that ride? If so try one of there bikes to get a feel of what you want. I think because of your size you will not be happy with any of the 250s. The wide ratio 450s will be a perfect match for you. Also it will only go as fast as you twist the throttle. Again it is all up to you..

With the KTM you also get things like premium chain/sproxs/ and brakes, plastics...on & on. They have the strongest 250f out there but if you are an adult, understand your limits and ride a 450f enduro in the lower RPMs, maening lug & chug it, its easier to ride. The 250f needs more RPM but can be easier to throw around.

Any will work for your needs, its a matter of you adjusting to any of them. All the 250f-s will be enough.

I go back to my KDX advice, ride it for 6 months and see where you are, if you are still even interested in the off road stuff, what you prefer to ride and what riders in your area use. It won't hold you back at all in the beginning and is cheap, durable and just about the perfect beginners tool.

i'll be mostly on cutlines in the rockies, lots of climbing and decending, also with some decent open areas to open er up.

WOW, pretty encouraging results from all the KTM research i've been doing for sure. It's just too bad they're relatively hard to find. Only one dealer in Calgary, and 3 others within a 6-7 hour drive,

Don't want to come across some kind of snob or elitist, but when i buy gear for any sport im into or getting into, i find that if i get the best stuff it makes it a little extra motivation to use it a lot and really beat stuff up. I know, kayaks are only 1500, good snowboard around 800, a good DH mtn bike 3500 etc and good dirtbike maybe 8 - 10k, but id rather go for something top end and a high performer than a cheaper option and leave any room for excuse NOT to continue riding.

HH,

Hey it's your money so spend it as you will. I wouldn't try to dissuade you from buying a new KTM. I'm not sure about the tightness of the trails you'll be riding, but I expect a 250f will still be fine for just about any riding. As mentioned before you'll be able to do fine on any of the bikes, but you have to adjust to any of them. So many people buy a bike that is just "too much bike" for them and regret it. I don't see that same problem the other way around very often.

i'll be mostly on cutlines in the rockies, lots of climbing and decending, also with some decent open areas to open er up.

WOW, pretty encouraging results from all the KTM research i've been doing for sure. It's just too bad they're relatively hard to find. Only one dealer in Calgary, and 3 others within a 6-7 hour drive,

Don't want to come across some kind of snob or elitist, but when i buy gear for any sport im into or getting into, i find that if i get the best stuff it makes it a little extra motivation to use it a lot and really beat stuff up. I know, kayaks are only 1500, good snowboard around 800, a good DH mtn bike 3500 etc and good dirtbike maybe 8 - 10k, but id rather go for something top end and a high performer than a cheaper option and leave any room for excuse NOT to continue riding.

Then quit flapping your gums and go buy the top of line bike since money is no object and report. Happy trails.:banana::worthy::eek::worthy:

If money was no object, I'd be on a KTM 250. YZ250 second, but no stock headlight option. Either way, a two-stroke gives you the best power to weight ratio and imo is better for learning how to ride all over again. As a beginner again, a four-stroke may make you a lazy rider and not focus on technique. Esp. a 450 - it's just too easy to use the power and lug, and that's not what the bikes were designed to do.

I'm also in Calgary. When I was shopping for my KTM, I checked out both Cycleworks and Blackfoot in town. Called dealers in Red Deer, Strathmore (i think) and Lethbridge. Possibly a dealer in the Hat too? As much as I love to hate them, after pitting all the dealerships I could find against each other, I found the best deal OTD at Blackfoot by a few hundred dollars...much to my surprise!!