powdercoating

does powdercoating weaken metal? I want to get my spokes powdercoated but i heard it weakens the metal and i definitely dont wanna be breaking spokes...

OK First why would you want to add un-sprung weight to your wheel. The lighter the better. Next spokes flex, bend and twist. I am not sure that powder coating will last very long. It will probably crack and peel pretty quickly, not to mention all the rock dings. Plus you are going to have to disassemble your wheel or cook all the Aluminum, and bearings too. then masking the contact points and threads would be a real pain or real expensive.

Now to make PC adhere the metal surface is hyper cleaned, the PC is sprayed on then it is baked at around 400 degrees for a long time. I do not know what alloy is used in spokes but I don't think that 400 degrees will harm that. RB

• 1 month later...
And i would be weary of PC a rim also.

KTM's come with powdercoated spokes and Excel A60's (top of their line) are powdercoated. Not a problem. The spokes however, will rub together at the cross creating a wear point. I don't think the 380*-400* it takes to cure would hurt steel spokes, just a pain to mask all of the threaded ends. You can PC them...I wouldn't.

Hahaha peoples posts make me laugh. PC'ing spokes WILL NOT weaken them. as stated, they cure at like 350-400 degrees. On a hot phx day (120 degrees) the metal on the bike gets damn near that hot just from the sun. The bending and flexing will not chip it either, you would be surprised how much PC will flex. The only thing is where the spokes rub it WILL rub threw and you will have a bare spot there. Trust me I have built plenty of bikes and have powder coated every part of them at one time or another, you will be just fine PC'ing them.

• Like 1

Very nice looking wheelset, witdogg. That's the look I was thinking about for my next set including the polished rim edges. I did a set for my buddys son, Candy green hubs and black rims. They looked great but the edges don't hold up well to the errant tire iron abuse. I thought the polished edges might be the ticket. Larry

DSCN0172.jpg

• Like 1

Very nice looking wheelset, witdogg. That's the look I was thinking about for my next set including the polished rim edges. I did a set for my buddys son, Candy green hubs and black rims. They looked great but the edges don't hold up well to the errant tire iron abuse. I thought the polished edges might be the ticket. Larry

Thanks those look good too! I have a set that I did just like what you're talking about...

IMG_1608.jpg