Advice on Knee Braces

I suffered a tibial plateau fracture and a torn meniscus in May and I am 10 weeks out from my surgery. I could possibly have a torn ACL as well. I get released to walk in another week and I need some advice on upper-echelon knee brace(s).

Does anyone have those 661 Knee Braces, or know someone who does, I forget the name but its like 300$ for both limbs. Any advice or testimonials on any of the other braces?

I have EVS Visions and they work great. Got them for $200 for the set. A local pro here wears them and he has broken more bones then I've ever seen, but never had a knee injury, so that should say something about them. They retail for about $250 or so, I think, but if you look around and get sales coupons you can get them for much cheaper.

evs_vision_lg.jpg

The truth is, unless you get custom made super expensive braces, off the shelf braces won't do much in terms of protection because all knees are different. (not my opinion, was told this by an ortho doc). Best anyone can do is exercise to have stronger knees. Having said that, I wear Asterisk braces and they fit ok. At the end of the day my skin is chafed which leads me to believe they don't stay in place very well and in a crash won't do much. I'm still on the fence about this, might sell them in the end.

Another thing to consider - braces might break your bones instead of tearing a knee. Which would you rather have is for you to decide. When I had my ACL repaired I was back on the bike in 3 months. Bones take longer to heal, and there's always a risk of damaging a major artery.

You are a freak of nature my friend. I have friends who have torn ACLs who are off the bike for 6-9 months. I guess its different in every case, dependong on your surgery and complications and stuff.

As far as the braces go, I just want something that will keep my knee from bending too far in the wrong direction. If I crash hard enough to make a knee brace break my leg I mean something is getting messed up anyways, I really need enough protection in the event that I dab my foot down and it gets tweaked.

You are a freak of nature my friend. I have friends who have torn ACLs who are off the bike for 6-9 months. I guess its different in every case, dependong on your surgery and complications and stuff.

As far as the braces go, I just want something that will keep my knee from bending too far in the wrong direction. If I crash hard enough to make a knee brace break my leg I mean something is getting messed up anyways, I really need enough protection in the event that I dab my foot down and it gets tweaked.

Not a freak of nature, it just depends on who is holding the knife. Dr. Mark did my knees, you can find him at the Health and Fitness section here. ALL his patients are guaranteed to be back on the bike in 3 months.

Pod MX and Asterisk are the best off the shelf knee braces, and most expensive. I don't have experience with anything else.

I was one of the dumb ones that got braces after trashing my left ACL, MCL and meniscus back in April. I now have a set of the early style Pods. I like the look of the new style better, but I was able to pick up the ones I have for $300 on Craigslist used only once. They are mediums and fit me like a glove, but the guy said he didn't like the fit. I could see his point, I tried on the Asterisks and the med was too small at the ends and just right at the knee, the large was just right at the ends and too loose at the knee.

Point is, you'll need to try on different brands to see which fit the best. My opinion is the Pods, Asterisks or EVS off the shelf braces look the closest to something you'd get custom made. I think there's even a CTI off the shelf model, just never see them in the bike shops. So far I'm liking these Pods, and they've helped a lot to keep my now loosey goosey knee from getting tweaked again. :banana:

Had 2 friends tear ACLs while riding this year one was wearing asterisks

(planted wrong in an off camber Sandy section of a track) and the other EVS carbon Webs (didn't even crash foot came off and kicked around the back wheel). Because of this i have yet to by braces only guards.

I have stretched the ligaments in my left knee (thank god not torn). I ended up getting Astrisk knee braces and my knees no longer hurt after riding. I couldn't believe how much the helped. Even with major get offs mine never moved. Maybe the individual that posted about it chaffing is not tightening them enough? But you have an unique case where a custom brace will probably be beneficial...that is if insurance covers it.