Brand new member and brand new D/S rider(hopefully)

Hey guys,

Just moved to Massachusetts and I wanted to get into D/S riding. There a lot of beautiful roads and trails that i really want to explore. I'm not new to riding, but it has been a few years since I've been on a bike. After doing a small amount of research online, I'm finding that the KLR 650 is the bike I may be buying. Yamaha doesn't put out a bike with enough displacement and Hondas generally tend to be more expensive than a Kawasaki. Just wanted to see if any of you had any info or advice on the bike. What you don't like about it. If any of you wished you never bought one to begin with and what you wish you had bought instead? Thanks for any info you can give me!

I bought a used 2005 KLR 4 months ago. I love it!

I live in No Georgia and have already put over 3000 miles on it, 85% of that "off road".

The bike is easy to work on and has a lot of aftermarket support.

Thanks for the replies! Crooks, I will be riding on paved roads for the most part but want the option to hit the occasional trail that may pop up. Richxr, I live on the Cape. If I get a bike anytime soon we can meet up and do some riding. Start scouting out some trails! Samurai, replied to your PM.

Dropmech - I think you can get great used bikes up here because the riding season is short and there's nothing to do in the winter except tinker with your toys! My 1996 is in great shape and has less than 10K on it. Got it for $1300 and had to replace chain, sprockets, non-DOT front tire and battery. Otherwise it seems really solid. I may try to pick up bikes for my kids this fall/winter if the deals are right...just don't know what size to get for them since ultimate destination is Co Springs next summer!