tie down system for short box truck

I’m looking for Wheel chalk/tie down system for 6 ½ bed truck but, I want to be able to put the tail gate up so I can haul my camper at the same time, I can’t do that if the gate is down.

I saw a set up that looked very slick but I don’t know what it was. The front of the bike was up about 20 degrees so that the gate would close. It looked like the front tire was about 18 inches off the bed and the guy took the system out in about 2 minutes, like a quick disconnect system.

Does anyone know who makes a tie down system like this? Sorry if this has already been talked about, I just couldn’t find it anywhere.

Thanks

Dan

• 8 months later...

Ok I guess I need to be more clear on what I was asking here.

I have a full size truck but short box (6 1/2 foot). I saw another guy with the same truck with two bikes in the back and the tail gate was all the way up and locked. the bikes front tires were elevated somehow with the rack/cradle system this guy had. then the guy pulled the rack out in about 2 minutes.

I thought it was the rack system from usracks.com but the cradle they sell doesnt elevate the front tire enough let the tailgate close. I would guess you would have to elevate the front tire at least 12 to 14 inches in order to get the gate to close.

so any ideas what kinda rack this might be? has anyone ever tried it? I was thinking about making one, if I could build it cheap enough I think I would be rich 👍

anyway, if you guys have an idea on how to make this idea work please let me know.

Thanks

HD9

I would be interested in seeing this as well. Sounds like a good idea if you can get the front tire elevated easily by yourself. I have heard of people going the other way and elevating the rear, but that sounds a bit janky to me.

I have short bed S-10 and get a bike in and the gate almost up:

What I do is roll the bike straight into the bed until the front tire almost touches the front panel of the bed and then turn the bars full lock and put the wheel into the corner; this shortens the bike enough that I can almost shut the tail gate.

I put an anchor eye on the floor in the middle of the bed at the front and one about 2 feet back from the front on the side to tie down the front end. At the rear I have tie points on the floor at each side that I tie to the rear of the bike.

I then use a pair of ties to pull the gate tight against the rear tire. The ties hook into the gate latches and connect to the factory eyes at each rear corner of the bed. The tail gate release handle will disconnect both ties.

Have you considered extending the tongue on your trailer or extending your hitch? I would think it would be easier than some kind of ramp rig in the back although it would probably look cool as hell and there is something to be said for that.

01HopeTrailer.jpg

80307.jpg

How about cheap ($30) oil change ramps mounted to a 2 x 6 that would run across the front of the bed? Depending on how much lift you'd need to get two bikes straight in with the tail-gate closed, this might be your cheapest and easiest option (and they're dished so the front tire would "drop" into the flat portion). Anything too complicated (hydraulics) is not worth the hassel plus then you get to worry about somebody stealing your $300 creation.

I'd start with blocks of wood to see how high you have to raise the front wheel before the gate will close, then go from there. The ramps I looked at will raise the wheel from 7 up to 10 inches.

Good luck (and sorry about the good-hearted TTers that keep suggesting you put your bike in sideways or turn the wheel...)

Have you considered extending the tongue on your trailer or extending your hitch? I would think it would be easier than some kind of ramp rig in the back although it would probably look cool as hell and there is something to be said for that.

01HopeTrailer.jpg

80307.jpg

I must say this looks like a really good answer to the tail gate not closing. I use that extension on my box van and it works great.

Again I wanted to make up this kind of system so I can close my gate while loading two bikes and towing my camper.

well I have a small update. A friend and I tried to lift my front tire to see how high it would have to be to allow the gate to close. what I found out was the tire is at least as high as the top of the truck box. the only way I can think to make this elevated front tire system work so gate will close would be if I had a truck bed tool box to rest the front tire on. Then maybe use some quick release chalks on top of the box so I could still get into the tool box. As far as tie points I was thinking about flat hinge points mounted on top of the box. Now the only thing Im not sure about is how to make a mini ramp that goes from the truck bed to the top of the box so I can just roll the front tire right up into the chalks.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? has anyone ever tried something like this? Would the bike be unstable if it was mounted at this kind of high front tire angle?

Thanks for any help you can give

HD