What to do for my son's next bike?

Well a little background first.

My son started riding a pw50 w/ training wheels when he was 3. A little before he was 4 the training wheels came off and he rode the pw till we came back to the states in 05'. The motor took a crap so I rebuilt it to a 60cc and that thing rocked except for the suspension.

Then in 06' I bought him a ttr50 and he was able to ride around the yard and I had trails in the woods for him to ride. We had to move from our 7 acre haven to a cookie cutter neighborhood w/a tiny yard and no place to ride. He is now going to be 10 in a month and has well outgrown the ttr50. He has a ton of fun with it on my Grandad's land but its time to take the next step. I want to buy him a bigger bike that he will not out grow to soon. At first I was thinking a ttr110 but I really think it would be dumb to buy anything at this point w/o a clutch (he needs to learn a clutch).

So I was thinking a KLX110L or KX65. Thinking of the type of riding he will be doing (trails and backyard tracks) I was thinking the KLX110L would be the logical choice. Never thought I would say that since I grew up on 2 strokes and never had a 4stroke until my DRZ400sm. Now I got this pitbike thing in my head thinking he could get a 125 pitbike the same size as the KLX and still be good. Now I don't know what to do.

I sold my dirt wheels for the DRZ and am selling the ttr50 to be able to buy him something else. Money is a little tight right now and I am hoping to sell my Jeep too and use a little from that to top off the funds for the bigger bike. I know I am not the only Dad to go through this thought process. Does anyone have any input on what route to take? I want to get all the info form every angle before I make a decision. Thanks for helping!

10 year old kids range from KLX 110's to 85cc 2 strokes and some CRf 150's... It mostly depends on how & what kind of riding he's going to do. The KLX are fun little play bikes but not so good if he starts to try some racing. The KX 65 is a super bike but some kids don't like the power valve hit for playing around. CRF's can be just too heavy....

I'd take him to a dealership to see what fit him best and go from there...

10 year old kids range from KLX 110's to 85cc 2 strokes and some CRf 150's... It mostly depends on how & what kind of riding he's going to do. The KLX are fun little play bikes but not so good if he starts to try some racing. The KX 65 is a super bike but some kids don't like the power valve hit for playing around. CRF's can be just too heavy....

I'd take him to a dealership to see what fit him best and go from there...

We were at the dealership today. The KLX110L and KX65 fits him perfect. The CRF 150 is to tall and heavy. I guess if I can find a nice 110 that might be the way to go. I think the 65 would be too much for playing around like he does.

KX100 in newer condition is a great bike. Worked very will for my 11 year old, and he rode it till he was 15

I'll have to look around and see if I can't find one to see the fit. Thanks

I had a 2006 klx110 when I was 8 and it was a good learning bike but it sucked you could not go through any water at all it was doing that because how the carb was made and if any water splash on it, it would die and then start right up other then that a great learing bike.

I had a 2006 klx110 when I was 8 and it was a good learning bike but it sucked you could not go through any water at all it was doing that because how the carb was made and if any water splash on it, it would die and then start right up other then that a great learing bike.

So you had a 2006 KLX 110 in 2000???

I think the klx110L is a good bike for him to progress on the L model has a clutch 4 speed transmission and is better than years past.I had a 2008 klx110 had no problems with it except the carb hose,when I went through water itwould stall but I fixed it all you have to do is re-route that hose to a different spot.

• 2 weeks later...

my brother who is 10 4ft 7" had a klx110 and them moved to a 2003 RM100 it was his first bike with a clutch. it has smooth power delivery and good suspension. if your son ever gets into jumps and track riding go with a 100 2stroke he will have lots of time to grow into it i can ride my brothers and im 5ft10" and 177lb

i'm kinda in the same boat here. my step daughter has out skilled her ttr125, she needs something with more power and a better suspention, and a higher top speed, i'ls kinda like to expose her to 2t, but i am not really horny over the maintenence schedule of like a yz, kx, cr, or rm. and besides she rides more trails than anything, but our trails are more like dirt roads with small sections of some tec stuff kinda like this

pretty good footage of her riding from about 4:58 to 5:26

she's 5'6" and 138lbs. i'm kinda thinking about a ktm 140 xc the saddle hight at 38.78" might be a little tall for her but she can captain morgan it, she was captain morganing her ttr when she first got it. the ttr is a big wheel, but i would like to have her get onto a regular sized wheeled bike. seems they deal with the rock gardens better. anyone got any other bikes to suggest in that same power out put family? or got experience with one of these bikes?

thanks

Dont take this the wrong way but I think your holding him back, woods or mx back yard a 65 or 85 will do nothing but help him. kids make the adjustments there smart he will be ok and he will have fun. 150r he will grow into it shave the seat lower it. just my opinion I was scared to put my 6 year old on a 65 and hes 7 now and racing. even if he was on open land would be best bike I could of got him.

Well a little background first.

My son started riding a pw50 w/ training wheels when he was 3. A little before he was 4 the training wheels came off and he rode the pw till we came back to the states in 05'. The motor took a crap so I rebuilt it to a 60cc and that thing rocked except for the suspension.

Then in 06' I bought him a ttr50 and he was able to ride around the yard and I had trails in the woods for him to ride. We had to move from our 7 acre haven to a cookie cutter neighborhood w/a tiny yard and no place to ride. He is now going to be 10 in a month and has well outgrown the ttr50. He has a ton of fun with it on my Grandad's land but its time to take the next step. I want to buy him a bigger bike that he will not out grow to soon. At first I was thinking a ttr110 but I really think it would be dumb to buy anything at this point w/o a clutch (he needs to learn a clutch).

So I was thinking a KLX110L or KX65. Thinking of the type of riding he will be doing (trails and backyard tracks) I was thinking the KLX110L would be the logical choice. Never thought I would say that since I grew up on 2 strokes and never had a 4stroke until my DRZ400sm. Now I got this pitbike thing in my head thinking he could get a 125 pitbike the same size as the KLX and still be good. Now I don't know what to do.

I sold my dirt wheels for the DRZ and am selling the ttr50 to be able to buy him something else. Money is a little tight right now and I am hoping to sell my Jeep too and use a little from that to top off the funds for the bigger bike. I know I am not the only Dad to go through this thought process. Does anyone have any input on what route to take? I want to get all the info form every angle before I make a decision. Thanks for helping!

I am 14 now but at 9 till i was 13 i owned a pit bike 125cc, my dad put small sprockets on it and it flew, it was like quick and had heaps of balls, when i finally learnt ow to use a clutch i need a new gearbox, 150 dollers and i baught a new motor. Great bike to go around on and learn the clutch

I would get a XR100, KLX110, or a TTR125. For the ttr i would get a small wheel. I learned on a TTR125 big wheel and it had a good amount of power for what it was.

Edited by KJ55

• 6 months later...
Dont take this the wrong way but I think your holding him back, woods or mx back yard a 65 or 85 will do nothing but help him. kids make the adjustments there smart he will be ok and he will have fun. 150r he will grow into it shave the seat lower it. just my opinion I was scared to put my 6 year old on a 65 and hes 7 now and racing. even if he was on open land would be best bike I could of got him.

+1. Better suspension. Better brakes. Better bike period. My 9 year old has ridden both and I feel he is actually safer on the 65. The klx is an excellent machine, the fun factor just wears off quicker. If you go klx, go used. You can find them out there for cheap. Chances are the seller would be selling in order to buy a 65.

Good Luck