Should I open up the top end? XRL

OK first a little history. I bought my 94 xr650l with 15,000 about 9 months ago. They fella I bought it from is an avd rider inmate who builds and sells gasgas bikes. He bought the bike to run the TAT and was selling it now that he was done. When I test rode it it seemed to run pretty well. It cam with the airbox opened up, a super trapp, power bomb and mikuni TM40. After I bought it life happened and the bike sat for a couple months. Finally I got around to riding it and immediately started running into what felt like carb issues. The bike would stall out and die... I played with the jetting. With he TM40 I went up and down on the following:

Pilots:12.5-21

Main:150ish - 170ish

needle:6DPO4

screw: 2 1/2 out

It just never seemed to completely run right. I thought I had it about right then I moved from Atl to MN. It started to die often again. When ever I ran into a problem the plug had soot. It was as if I couldn't lean it out enough.

Finally I threw in the towel and picked up an XRR carb for cheap. I've got it set with the needle raised all the way, 60s pilot, and 160 main. I tried a 155 main it the bike lagged and lunged so the 160 isn't rich.

I resently recieved the next up pilot 62 or 65. The spark finally burned brown. I took it for a joy ride and it felt great! Finally a well running bike. A week later I went for another joy ride. 30 miles into it she konked out at a stop sign. I finally got her running again, but if I let off the throttle it would die and it seemed to rev. a ton. Half way home she officially konked out and wouldn't start up again. The BRP has been on the trailer of a week now because I'm pissed at her, but am ready to give it another go.

A friend of mine said his XR400 had problems dying until he finally had a top end rebuild done. I've torn into an xr600 so I think I'm up for the task. Do any of these signs point to a rebuild. It doesn't blow smoke but I have had problems with the valves loosening up a few times.

16k miles, dies often, spark burns nice and brown, then eventually gets black, but cleans up with a wire brush. Does this spell rebuild?

Well I'm getting pretty tired of not riding so any tips would be great.

If it`s not running now take out the CDI ,,flip it over a wack the back with a screwdriver handle sharply,,all over the back while trying to start it...these are known for bad solder joints on the PC board in the CDI.......if it starts let me know,i repair these for free...

B

If it`s not running now take out the CDI ,,flip it over a wack the back with a screwdriver handle sharply,,all over the back while trying to start it...these are known for bad solder joints on the PC board in the CDI.......if it starts let me know,i repair these for free...

B

If you aren't tired of doing the CDI overhauls by the winter... you'll be getting a package from Boise Idaho:smirk:

Preventative maintenance :banana: