How to tell between an E and S/SM air box...?

Hi,

I have two air boxes. One has had the 3x3 mod done to it by a butcher. It still has the wire mesh screen in the opening where the filter goes. The other is unmolested but has no screen. I can't see what the differences are between the two, however l was told by the previous owner that the uncut air box is from an E model. How can l check to be sure?

lf l do have an E air box, it doesn't need cutting, right? Just pull out the snorkel from the top?

Thanks for the pic, Bumtarder!

The uncut air box l have is the E model, then. Should l pull the wire screen from the other air box and put it into the E air box? ls it a necessary bit of hardware? The hole in the E air box is significantly smaller than a 3x3 cut hole... does that make any difference to jetting?

l am riding an SM model that doesn't see dirt time and using a K&N filter with the SSW/MRD pipe... don't know if that matters or not, but thought l'd add it just in case.

Hi Bronco,

Thank you for your post. The air box in question is exactly the same as the one in Bumtarder's pic, minus the screen. l can yank the screen out of the spare air box l have and put it back into the E air box if this is a wise move. Otherwise l'll leave it as it is. l was just a bit confused since the hole in the E air box is way smaller than the enormous gaping wound that was hacked into the spare air box. l was unsure if l had the right one in place!

Thanks for setting me straight, everyone (:banana:)