How to save rear wheel swap?

I'm sure we have all experienced this in Motocross. You are pushing out some hard laps, track starts to get rougher. You are riding hard when all of a sudden, your rear wheel starts to swap side to side. If you don't stop the swap, it's a crash, and usually a painful one.

These are probably the harshest crashes I experience every now and then. Usually, it seems to happen in a whoops section or something similar, especially when the track starts to get real rough and rutted out.

What are some techniques to follow to get the rear wheel inline again? I think it really has to do with the track getting rough, and the rider getting more and more tired, maybe not gripping with the legs much, causing the bike to start swapping under you.

These crashes are usually violent because the rear wheel starts to swap side to side and then catches hard..... causing you to go flying while the bike just hooks and stops in its tracks.

it's amazing what you can ride out. I usually try to stay loose, not panic, stay low and forward on the bike and hold it wide open. I would say i've ridden out swaps that were past 50 degrees out of wack. Its been a long time since i crashed due to swapping out. I think it was an issue for me when i was weighting the pegs unevenly, not squeezing with my legs enough, riding too tense and was practicing after i should have packed it in for the day.

This happen to me las time I went riding on a sand track. I hit a kicker on the lip and my back drifted out in the air. I panic revved but the bike didnt fully come around. When I landed, the rear tire started to swap and I just held it wide open. I made it out with out any scratches.

I went to a motocross camp recently, mainly instructed by James Povolny.. and one of the biggest things he stressed is that the bike goes where you look. And something a lot of people do, is when things get hairy, they start looking off where they think they'll end up if they crash, and basically end up picking a spot to crash.. and then they crash. But, if you keep looking ahead, stay on the gas, a lot of the time you can ride it out. I had it happen while I was at camp, a little kicker double, I got waaaaaaaay sideways off of, and I happened to remember what he told me, and just looked forward and pinned it, and rode it out. I thought for sure I was done, but... rode it out.

I went to a motocross camp recently, mainly instructed by James Povolny.. and one of the biggest things he stressed is that the bike goes where you look. And something a lot of people do, is when things get hairy, they start looking off where they think they'll end up if they crash, and basically end up picking a spot to crash.. and then they crash. But, if you keep looking ahead, stay on the gas, a lot of the time you can ride it out. I had it happen while I was at camp, a little kicker double, I got waaaaaaaay sideways off of, and I happened to remember what he told me, and just looked forward and pinned it, and rode it out. I thought for sure I was done, but... rode it out.

damn kickers only cause trouble.:banana: