Dirt vs. street setup???

I'm about to take the plunge and have the suspension on my DR650 set up by a professional. Since my bike only has preload and rebound adjustments on the rear and none on the forks, whatever he sets the bike up for is going to be the way it is. I have my choice, he said he can make it perform well on the street or on the dirt or can make a compromise somewhere in between. (As I understood he can set the first part of the travel up for street riding and the rest with a dirt bias.)

I may be dense. But what's the big difference? He said a street biased suspension will tend to plow in the loose stuff. Honestly, I don't understand why and feel that before I drop money into the suspension I really need to get a grip on things.

For what it matters, most of my riding is on the street (commuting), but really enjoy hitting the trails whenever I can. I like the broad focus of the DR and don't want it to suck any worse than it does now at anything.

First I think you should get more info from the suspension guy that is going to be doing the work ... he should be able to explain what he plans to do so that you understand it.

Next, I'd rather get the dirt setup perfect and I don't see why that would make for a bad setup on the street. The DR in the dirt can be a real handful, so I'd want that to work as best it could.

Not sure how much you are planning to spend, but have you considered a Cogent modified shock? That way you'd end up with compression and rebound adjustments on the shock. Website is http://motocd.com/ .