Tech 7's or TCX COMP 2's??

I'm in the market for new boots now. Been in a pair of A-star Vectors since 2003, and yes, my riding has been less since 2006. I've heard questionable reviews about the Tech 7's, and not a whole lot of experience of the TCX's, but what I have heard has been good. Honestly my Vectors have held up very well over the years considering. I'm just wondering if the sole will hold up better with TCX, since its the 'old-school' style. Seems like the rear brake lever chews up the newer soles a lot easier.

I'm looking for comfort, and reliability. I'm mostly doing woods riding now, and not so much MX, so I prefer something that is fairly water-resistant. I don't ride in deep creeks, just the occasional crossing, and mudholes. I know if water gets in the top, you're getting wet, but when I say water-resistant, I mean if the boot gets splashed around the ankle area.

TCX can be had for $240 on Ebay. Cheapest I've found Tech 7's, is for $285. I just wonder if the TCX ankle brace system will protect your foot better? If you guys wear either of these boots, please comment on how you like/dislike them.

i have the tech 7 and they are great to me very comfy, supportive, and durable. they dont do so good in water, if you step in water deeper than 3in your gonna get water int he vent holes but splashing wont get water in them. they also have replaceable soles on the bottom of the boot

new to dirt biking and bought 03 525 sx and some tech 7. they feel a bit big and boxy in the toes though and makes upshifting more difficult for me. are tech 8 slimmer in toes? what about sidi chargers? also top buckle on 7 doesn't rotate enough to tighten around my skinny calf.

I sold my Tech 7's. I had to have my friends help me shut the buckles and it was hard to do even then.

I just don't get that. They are a bit difficult if dirty but far from impossible. I've heard others complain about this, but have never had an issue myself.

I love everything about my 7's, especially the replaceable insert which is just about the whole damn sole. Easy to replace also.

i have been riding on tech 7s for about two years. I try to ride twice a week, mostly trails but i do play with motocross as well, and would guess i will get another year out of them. they get the occasional bath but other than that... they are just now starting to break down although the soles have held up well.

It sounds like you've got quite a few opinions on the tech7's so, here's one on the Oxtar's.

I bought the TCX pro's (one with the bootie) after breaking my ankle in 2006. I think the exo-skeleton system is great and provides a ton of protection. The bootie inside is real comfortable and keeps my foot warm even if I do end up getting them wet.

My boots have held up well, the soles are still in decent shape and the only thing that's broke on them was the plastic adjustable buckle and you can order those straight from Oxtar.

Hope that helps:thumbsup:

Keep comments coming. I wish my local dealer had both in stock so I could try each on. I have had A-stars before and really liked the comfort, although not the newest ones. The TCX's seem like they would have more protection of the ankle with the limiting feature. I'm just wondering which of two breaks in faster and is overall more comfortable?

For you guys with Tech 7's, how many hours do you estimate to get on a pair until they're done?

I've put 45 hours on my so far this year and they are still in excellent condition. I've replaced the sole inserts once.

Not sure what is replaceable on the oxtar's, but just about everything is replaceable on the 7's.

Got Tech 7's. Nice and comfy and really supportive, and once I broke them in, had the right amount of ankle movement for braking and shifting while still having excellent ankle support. Three complains I got against them however. One is that I do find it a little hard to find the brake pedal and apply pressure the way I want to. Number two is that the buckle can be a little bit of a pain in the ass sometimes, especially when I compared them side-by-side to a pair of Gaerne's. Plus side of the buckles, however, is that when they are buckled, they stay that way, and have replaceable parts. And number three is that once I'm in ankle deep water, some will seep in, although at a slow rate.