CBR wheels on my YZ426F

I finally finished putting CBR wheels on my YZ426. I haven’t seen anything online about doing this exact wheel swap so I thought I would post something.

I used CBR F2 wheels. The front wheel was the easy one. The bearings fit so the only thing to do was mill the wheel so that rotor would line up with the caliper and move the caliper out to match the rotor diameter. I took it to a machinist here in Denver who made the bracket and milled the wheel (he did awesome work. His email is cdscomponents@gmail.com).

The back wheel was not as easy. I used an 87 VFR sprocket carrier. The machinist milled the dust seal lip off of the wheel and carrier so that it would fit in the swing arm. The axel on the YZ is larger than the axel on the CBR so I had to find 22x42x14mm bearings. I found VRT1000R front wheel bearing are the size I needed. Here is a link to purchase: http://www.faymyers.com/fiche_section_detail.asp?section=156033&category=MOTORCYCLES&make=HONDA&year=2002&fveh=3621

I used 7/8 ID aluminum rod to make 3 spacers that go on the axel, one between the bearings on the wheel, one between the wheel and sprocket carrier and one for the sprocket side of the wheel between the wheel and swing arm.

The sprocket for the VFR is 525 pitch and I needed 520 pitch to match the sprocket on my bike. I talked to moto-heaven and they made a sprocket for less than $70 shipped.

The break rotor for the CBR is of course the wrong size. I found that the rotor for a Honda CB 400 SUPER FOUR fits just right. It has the bolt pattern of a CBR and the diameter of a YZ426. The bad news is that that bike is not sold in the US so I had to order one on ebay.

Here are some pics:

Next time call vortex for your 520 sprocket as i used them for my hooligan mod when i had my drz400. Im currently doing a GS500 wheel for my YZ450F on the front wheel. Its a no brainer with the 280mm rotor and my Brembo sumo brake setup i am mking a caliper braket here at work. I could just use a EBC 280mm mx kit but i want the Brembo sumo brake. Im going to use it for my rain wheel setup. Alot cheaper than new sumo wheels, tubeless, cheap and i dont need alot brake for the rain. I might get another one for when we dont run the dirt section as i dont want to jump these wheels.

I have punished my gs wheels and no problems. I would not hesitate to jump, adventure ride, hooligan bash these things. They are over built for the weight and hp of our smoto rides, just stay away from boulders and curbs!

I am looking at building a set of cbr wheels also - so itdoesn't sound as though the cush drive has to welded on the cbr wheels?

I was able to get the cush drive to work on my bike without welding it. I used the sprocket carrier off of a vfr. I did have to machine off the dust seals, though. I don't know if the swing arm is the same size as yours it may be wider.

I can't say for sure if these wheels are good for jumping or not. I have a newer CRF that I ride on the track so I only use it on the street but it seems like it would take quite to bend the wheels. They are a bit heavy for the track, though.

• 7 months later...

Hi There,

Great mod and thanks for the info on the VFR carrier - mine's on its way - just trying to find disc dimensions rotor bolt patterns - to see if there's a direct 520 swap from another model (Hondas have lots of parts in the same sizes etc).

I am about to do this conversion but on a 99 WR400 - what year is your 426 - 2000/1 or the 2002 version - as the front axle widths changed between 2000-1 and 2002 apparently.

You mention vrt(VTR?)1000r but the bearing sizes are different in the link ie 22 x 47 x 14 ? - I'll measure with my Verniers and confirm on this thread.

I managed to source a mint cb400 four disk (exact fit like you said) and also a brand new clearance OEM Triumph front disk (same rotor bolt pattern as the CBR600 F2/3) - giving a cheap (£45) 320mm conversion - I ordered the Talon POW81 (320mm) caliper relocation bracket, as at £50 it was a no-brainer (at that price it was just waaay too much hassle to build one myself, ++ its Talon and it'll look "smart").

Just the milling to do and maybe some later YZ426/450 Yokes - (Axle width Bearing to Bearing is 79mm vs 68mm on the earlier WR/YZ models so they must be wider, no ?).

Oh and the carb to rebuild and the auto-decomp cam to install - 2011 should be much fun !!

OK - here's a heads up relating to measuements etc !

The correct rear wheel Bearing sizes for the replacement/conversion to a yz/wr 400/426 - EXCEPT for YZ426 2002 models (which have different size axles) is Outside Diameter 47mm, Inside Diameter 22mm, and Width 14mm - which happens to be the same dimensions as the FRONT bearings on CBR600RR models 2003-2006 and RVT1000R models 2000-2006.

I used Marksman Industrial in the UK for sealed bearing units (4.99 each bearing) - see this link for confirmation of sizes and models:-

http://shop.marksman-ind.com/91073-mcf-003-replacement-bearing-22x47x14-3089-p.asp

I'm gonna post this next bit in a new thread as well, as it relates specifically to CBR600 F2/F3 wheels, but for now I have found that the following bikes have 320mm (318mm in fact) front disks, that will bolt straight onto a cbr600 F2/3 wheel as they have the same 144mm I/D, 6mm bolt hole, 166mm bolt diameter, 6-bolt rotor pattern :ride:: :-

HONDA NT 650 HAWK GT (RC31)

HONDA NTV 650 (RC33) [FRONT]

HONDA VF 750 C MAGNA (RC43)

HONDA ST 1100 (SC26) [FRONT 90-95]

HONDA VT 1100 C (SC23) [FRONT 92-94]

HONDA VT 1100 C2 (SC32)

HONDA VT 1100 C3 (SC39)

TRIUMPH ADVENTURER 900 (ADVENTURER)

TRIUMPH LEGEND TT (LEGEND)

TRIUMPH THUNDERBIRD 900 (TBIRD900)

The list of the above compatible bikes is taken from the Lucas Bike Catalogue (using the unique part number for disc compatibility) and can be found through this link:-

http://www.louis.at/index.php?topic=artnr_gr&artnr_gr=10043600〈=en

Cool eh - a super-easy 320mm disk conversion for the CBR600 F2/F3 wheels - should be VERY easy now to find discs on ebay for your moto conversion.

LOL - once this info is out it's probably gonna drive up the value of F2/3 wheels coz theyre gonna look sooooooo sexy with 320mm disks !

Oh and the Talon Bracket to correctly position the WR/YZ calipers to 320mm is POW81 (I think) - anyway the relocation bracket is on its way so if it's wrong I'll post/edit a correction - but the brackets a total no-brainer bargain at £49. :cheers:

I'll post up images and exact measurements for the milling work so you have a definitive reference (just as soon as the VFR hub arrives).

Max respect to tommy444 for providing the inspiration for me to do this conversion.

• 1 year later...

Sorry to revive this thread but im just about to buy a set of CBR600 wheels for this exact mod.

Hopefully they will fit with not too much work on My 99 WR400, brother in law is a machinist so a few crates of beer going his way I feel.

Thanks for the write ups chaps this thread has helped enormously.

Simon

• 4 weeks later...

I have an F2 rear wheel on my DRZ400, I went with a cush hub from a VF500 honda, it is much thinner than the F2 and lighter also. The CB450 hub is almost the same as a VF500 that has had 2 or 3mm removed from the mounting face for the sprocket.

The VF500 and CB450 use a different sprocket than the F2 hub, so I went with a custom Vortex sprocket. Due to the tight space on the DRZ, I had to go with tapered head bolts. It all works very well and the cush drive is very nice for street use.

IMAG1923_SM.jpg

IMAG1927_SM.jpg

DRZ%2520rear%2520l.jpg

Thanks guys,

Even with a thinner cush drive looks like al the cush drive hols need to go. Thinking about selling the wheels and trying to get some wheels that have already been converted.

Thanks

Simon

Thanks guys,

Even with a thinner cush drive looks like al the cush drive hols need to go. Thinking about selling the wheels and trying to get some wheels that have already been converted.

Thanks

Simon

Here is a shot showing the thickness of the stock CBR600 hub and the CB450 hub. You have to go to a thinner bearing in the cush hub and also cut down the area that the bearing fits into, but it should be possible to make this work. Many have used the F2 wheels and kept the cush drive functional.

Honda%2520cush%2520hubs.jpg

• 6 years later...

I am currently doing this build as well f2 front f3 rear on my 2000 wr 400. I bought a 87 vfr rear hub and it was much wider  Im curious as to why you didnt just mill down the cbr 600 sprocket carrier seems a hell of a lot easier seeing that that actually already fits in the swingarm without the rear brake bracket. I will include pictures of the hubs cbr600 on the left vfr 700 on the right.

20181221_101727.jpg