How to tighten front wheel?

I just replaced the tube in my front tire on my 2001 GasGas TXT 200 (older non-Pro model.) How do I torque down the front axle?

I tightened the main axle just a little, until there was no free play and the wheel still spun freely. It didn't seem very tight, but any tighter and I could hear the bearings starting to get tighter. I then tightened the pinch bolts down and that was it.

Is this the right way?

You should be able to tighten the axle right up without the bearings tightening up ... is there a spacer in the hub between the bearings? There is on my bike and I'm pretty sure a GasGas would be similar. The spacer allows you to tighten the axle right up so that the bearing centre races are held securely.

Andrew

I just replaced the tube in my front tire on my 2001 GasGas TXT 200 (older non-Pro model.) How do I torque down the front axle?

I tightened the main axle just a little, until there was no free play and the wheel still spun freely. It didn't seem very tight, but any tighter and I could hear the bearings starting to get tighter. I then tightened the pinch bolts down and that was it.

Is this the right way?

Yes, that is the correct way... Or at least, the way I was told and the way I've been doing it on the older bikes:

Loosen the lower triple tree clamp on the forks, thread the axle in till the bearings start to bind and then back off till the turn free with no play side to side. Hole the front brake and dive the suspension up and down holding the brake, then tighten the pinch bolts at the axle and the lower triple tree clamp. I'm not absolutely sure if you tighten the axle pinch bolts BEFORE the triple clamp or after.. Maybe someone will correct me if there is a correct order.