Broken Shift Drum

Hey guys, yesterday while I was racing my bike wouldn't shift into second gear. I suspected a bent shift fork, but I got the cases split for the first time (never done it before) and I found some metal chunks and a broken shift drum. Just thought I'd share some pics.

Any ideas on how to get the shift drum out???

Also, what could've caused this?

Thanks in advance guys!

IMG_4377.jpg

IMG_4376.jpg

IMG_4378.jpg

IMG_4379.jpg

IMG_4380.jpg

IMG_4381.jpg

hmm, well then maybe you just got one that was too hard. It actually happens and finally after so many heat and cooling cycles the next time you wanted to do shift it finally just said eff it, im puttin the gloves in. that would be my first though considering its steel.

Got the drum out and the parts are scheduled to be here tomorrow. Planning to race on Saturday, so hopefully my first reassembly of a motor goes well!

Should I just use a rag and some compressed air to clean the metal filings out of the cases?

Motor is back in the frame and now I'm just trying to get the thing in time. I thought I had it right, but when I put the tensioner in, it looks like I am one tooth off on both. I should probably adjust the marks based on when the tensioner is in, right? Because I think there is enough play in the chain and cams when there are loose that I can make it look right when it isnt.

also, if it looks slightly off without it just remember that if the gear is off one tooth it will be very evident not like you need to get super anal about it being absolutely dead on. They either line up or they dont.