So what do you think I should do?

I have a 99 YZ400 and for fathers day I received a Hurricane decal kit for it.I already have yellow fenders and shrouds for it and I will probably get a yellow or black gas tank too.Wich means I will have to paint my frame black to make it look its best.My frame has some desent size dents on the left side by the glide plate, up front below the pipe area.Should I buy a new frame from some one parting a 400-426 out on this site and is there an advantage going to a newer 2000-2002 frame?.Has anyone ever looked into putting the 400-426 motor in a 1998 and up YZ250 frame and installing the oil mod to the engine?,I Know many of the frame parts are the same.Another thought is if a lighter frame is made by the after market somewhere,but Im sure it would be pricey. ?

changing frames is kinda a waste of money...not much performance per dollar. Another thought..strip the bike, have it painted, and put one of those cool CRD skid plates on to cover up the dents.

I used a powder coater for metal railing. He had me sandblast it first. That could be an issue for oil in the frame scooters. The powdercoating is thick. There was a post about a guy that actually cut tape or a metal tape to put on the engine mounts and swingarm bolt holes on the inside. Powdercoat must be thick enough to cause an interference fit.

I bet if you brought the frame to a guy who does motorcycles, he could advise you. Check with the dealers in your area who are most reputable.

If I can find a newer frame cheap I might go that route.That way I can still ride while I strip, paint install new bearings etc.Im still courious if anyones ever put a yz400/426 in a yz250 frame.

I wouldn't waste the coin on a frame- save that money for an exhaust, tires, chain and sprockets, whatever. A guy on here by the name thumpsalad (haven't seem him around for a while) had his frame powdercoated, but it was a nightmare because some of the powder got in the oil res in the frame and totally wasted his engine. Make sure whoever does this blocks off ALL the openings for the oil reservoir in the frame, because it could get costly replacing the engine. I don't think the stroker motor will fit in the pinger frame- different motor mounts and different geometry. Good luck!

When I got my frame back from Andrews Powder Coating I knew some sand kernels could be hiding in there somewhere so I took a garden hose and flushe the frame for about 10 minutes and then filled it up with gas and shook, then I ran a couple qts of oil thru her before assembly.

I knew after that there would be no sand in it. ?

That was over 3 years ago and ner a problem.

OK I was going to powder coat my trick chromoly frame but it sounds like paint is the way to go but paint experts

Any special prep for bare metal? Is a base or primer coat necessary?

Any special type or brand of paint?

Or even better - anyway to clear coat? (this hand made frame is absolutly beautiful to see so I hate to cover it)

I need it to stand up to power washing (please do not make this a debate on how or how not to wash a bike)

Thanks for any input

When Dick Mann was selling a TT 500 frame (actually a

couple styles) he had them powder coated. Looked nice

and held up real good. But that was 1978. Im sure there

are paints available now that hold up good for a dirt bike

frame without the worry of sand/beadblast medium getting

into the oil tank...Not to mention engine spacing and

bolt holes being compromised......Hey what ever happened

to Gloss Black Krylon?

BC ?

Lightist YZF, My brother sandblasted his frame, and then clear-coated it. It looked AWESOME!!! The whole thing looked like it was Titanium! I don't remember what paint he used, but it was straight out of a spray can. Held up quite well too. Good luck. And if you get some photo's of your ride, I would love to see them. Maniac ?

For those who disagree with the powdercoating....Man you guys haven't a clue.... :D

Powdercoating is 3 times more durable than spray paint...and is just a better looking finish.

I will agree that the sandblasting can pose a risk with the sand media getting into the oil resevoir...but dang guys...that's not a huge cavity....why didn't they clean it?

I have my frame stripped down to the bare metal and ready to powdercoat tomorrow morning...you can bet there is no sand in the oil resevoir and I will probably clean it 2 or 3 times just to make sure...so there ?

Kirtwell

I dont think that the issue is no use for Powder coating. IMO I can not justify it on a dirt bike thats all, and the amount of riding I do any way a spray can of paint is a good thing.

If it was my ysr50 oh ya powder coat is what I will do.

I think the issue is more of how the horror stories have been on some jobs.

Kirtwell, I don't know if you have read the threads yet or not, but before you do your blasting I highly recommend searching and reading the powdercoat threads. Some of the guys really tried to clean out the oil tank and didn't have any luck. Just be sure you plug that thing up good! Maybe put some bolts in all of the openings that aren't removed until you're done or something.

If you strip the frame, you should prime it. This is not the cheapest way, but it is the most durable:

1) Strip the frame with paint striper and steel wool or a scuffy.

2) Sand the frame with medium grit sand paper, then do it with a fine grit sand paper.

3) Get a real spray gun and air compressor and by some PPG epoxy primer and paint the frame. Do a couple of coats (this stuff is not cheap, it runs about $80 a quart with harnder). It is super tough.

4) Spray on a guide coat with black spray paint in a can. Mist it on.

5) Wet sand with 400 grit wet/dry sand paper until all of the black mist from the guide coat is gone. Try not to sand through to the metal.

6) Get a quality automotive paint (it's expensive, probably another $100 or more for a quart with hardner and reducer). Omron paint is super tough, but it's outlawed in a lot of places. If you get use it, but be sure you use a spray mask, it is nasty stuff. I like PPG base coat/clear coat systems. It's easy to spray on and it looks great. The stuff I use is called Concept 2000.