EE Brake Switch/Tail Light Not Working

When I bought my '09 KTM 200 XC-W last fall, the dealer sold me the EE 30-701 Lighting Kit (headlight, taillight). The kit has worked fine until now. I just installed Rear Brake Light Switch EE30-101, but cannot get the rear brake light to come on. The tail light still works. I've double checked the connections and have it wired according to the directions that came with the switch. I checked the switch with a continuity tester and it appears to be working ok. After checking the 2010 EE catalog, it looks like I should have the 30-801 lighting kit instead of the 30-701. Is this the problem?

It looks like there are two sets of LEDs in the tail light. Is one set for the tail light and one set for the brake light? Not sure how this whole system works.

Well now the tail light doesn't even work. Do these lights run off AC? I tried hooking up a 12v battery to the various connectors to see what lights I could get to work. Now none of them light up. Could the DC have burned out the LED tail light bulbs?

When I bought my '09 KTM 200 XC-W last fall, the dealer sold me the EE 30-701 Lighting Kit (headlight, taillight). The kit has worked fine until now. I just installed Rear Brake Light Switch EE30-101, but cannot get the rear brake light to come on. The tail light still works. I've double checked the connections and have it wired according to the directions that came with the switch. I checked the switch with a continuity tester and it appears to be working ok. After checking the 2010 EE catalog, it looks like I should have the 30-801 lighting kit instead of the 30-701. Is this the problem?

It looks like there are two sets of LEDs in the tail light. Is one set for the tail light and one set for the brake light? Not sure how this whole system works.

Well now the tail light doesn't even work. Do these lights run off AC? I tried hooking up a 12v battery to the various connectors to see what lights I could get to work. Now none of them light up. Could the DC have burned out the LED tail light bulbs?

No, if its DC, then it will only allow it to work one way, try reversing the leads. As for AC, as soon as it goes through the LED, its technically rectified to DC (half wave rectification) . There should be a built in load or resistor in the lamp unit as you cant just hook an LED directly to power or it will burn it out.

That's odd, I installed on of those switches earlier this year and it was pretty much plug and play and has worked well for 1k miles so far. I would think that the 200 xcw and the 300 xcw would have the same rear master cylinders and require the same switch.

I would call EE and talk to them about it. Maybe you got a bad one. They're good people and more than happy to help.