help countershaft seal

I check the oil when the bike is warm. Everywhere i look on the internet they say to check the at operating tempreture i thought the oil comes out the air box if you overfilled the oil tank

go to this web site i know its for a xr400r but their should not be much diffrence

bewteen a xr400r and a xr650r

http://www.4strokes.com/tech/honda/xr400r_oil_check_change.asp

Edited by xr650r2000

• 2 months later...
ok i got the seal. do i have to split the case to get the seal out?

Nope. Just remove circlip and pop it out with a small screwdriver. Gently tap the new one in. Keep a spare with you at all times.

When running hard, the 650R's will blow the crank seal. The only time I blew mine was when I was running a 10 paddle hard in the deep sand dunes. It happened twice....

Team Honda riders ALWAYS kept and changed the seals when running Baja.

Have you recently changed the oil?

To check the oil level you should start the bike and let it idle for about 5 minutes, shut it off then with it sitting level check the oil level. A lot of folks overfill the oil on these bikes.

Another thing to check is the crankcase breather tube. It runs under the seat and if it gets pinched may cause the seal to blow out since it builds pressure

To change mine I laid the bike over on the right side and removed/replaced the seal. No need to remove the oil.

Nope. Just remove circlip and pop it out with a small screwdriver. Gently tap the new one in. Keep a spare with you at all times.

When running hard, the 650R's will blow the crank seal. The only time I blew mine was when I was running a 10 paddle hard in the deep sand dunes. It happened twice....

Team Honda riders ALWAYS kept and changed the seals when running Baja.

Dont think this statement is quite true, i thrash the shit outta mine from time to time and have never done a counter shaft seal, its a known fault from factory though and a replacement part can fix it, dont think it matters how hard ur going just depends if it wants to let go or too much oil or chain to tight ๐Ÿ˜

Dont think this statement is quite true, i thrash the shit outta mine from time to time and have never done a counter shaft seal, its a known fault from factory though and a replacement part can fix it, dont think it matters how hard ur going just depends if it wants to let go or too much oil or chain to tight ๐Ÿ˜

When you are running in the dunes hard, the crankcase pressure really builds up and the the heat causes the oil to expand. I found by only filling the oil to the halfway point, (providing chain is not to tight) you are good to go.

I'm with you on this one joker.

The 2000 model blew seals when overfilled.

i got the seal in no trouble but theirs alawys a but i broke the chain conector getting the chainoff so i brought a new one forgeting it was a o ring chain so i got a non o ring chain conector so i got to get anothr conector. i also found out its got 2 chain conecters. so im going to get the conecter take the other one off so ive onl got one conecter and the adjust the chain to the write settingthen ride.... hopefully

Hey mate check the crank case breather hose isnt pinched that will make it blow counter shaft seals.I take my bike for a 10min ride then check the oil, never blown a crank shaft seal yet i cane my bike every ride got 9000kms on it.Have replaced 1 countershaft seal.Valves havent moved yet either