Why 2 spark plugs?

Seems to aid in efficiency. Id have to assume both in power and mpg. There are plenty of car like that too. Some of the older 4 cyl ford motors had them. Rangers, mustangs, etc

Yep. My old Nissan 4 cyl Z24 engine had 2 plugs. At the time it was "claimed" that it helped with emissions. The fired a fraction of a second apart so it burned the mixture more completely. Don't know if this was a consideration with the DR back in 96 and the plugs fire together anyway.

Yep. My old Nissan 4 cyl Z24 engine had 2 plugs. At the time it was "claimed" that it helped with emissions. The fired a fraction of a second apart so it burned the mixture more completely. Don't know if this was a consideration with the DR back in 96 and the plugs fire together anyway.

YUP, I had a Nissan and those plugs in fact fired a nano second apart from each other. IF you remember, they had no smog pump on those engines, or at least my 83 had no such pump. That second plug burned up what was left over for cleaner exhaust emissions. I don't understand why they don't do that on all engines. The other interesting thing about that plug system Nissan used, the plugs were of a different temperture range, one plug was cooler then the other one. I changed the plugs once and I remember I had to buy 4 in one heat range and 4 in another. If you didint' get it right the engine would not run right.