XR250R sound testing with FMF PC IV???

Anyone ever been sound checked in CA riding an XR250R (2002) with an FMF PC IV with spark arrestor??? I made the upgrade to both the pipe and the jets last weekend, sounds significantly louder (deeper sounding) than with the stock set-up. Accordingly to the CA sticker, the stock set-up is supposedly 82 db...I still don't think I'm over the limit but was interested in any feedback/experience people have (and where they were tested?)

Thanks!

Here is a site (So Cal) that has the state testing effort and some of their results.

http://ohv.parks.ca.gov/default.asp?page_id=22795

I believe the state (Calif. Dept Of Parks) uses the SAE standard # J-1287 for testing.

I now run the stock muffler with Fineline's vortip. (XR400)

It's was tested at 96 db at the Honda ride for kids event at Glen Helen this year.

Prior to this I ran a Pro Circuit stainless platinum pipe with 8 discs and it was tested (Colorado 500) at 103 db. Way to loud. It's for sale.

NOW THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKIN' ABOUT!

Mainjet, that link is great! Although it would be nice to have a little more detail on the exhaust set-ups (ie: how many disks in pipes that have them, etc.), it gives anyone considering a pipe a ballpark as to how loud their bike would be with a certain pipe. I might have to post the URL where more can see it (if not already done).

Very interesting.

It's amazing how much these results vary though. For example stock goes from 85 to 100. I reckon the more noise the more it's been altered. These records however do not do anything to clarify the question of which exhaust would be best...most flow for the least amount of noise.

The only way you could compare these exhausts would be go thru and write down for each exhaust the lowest reading, assuming that these would reflect the exhaust in it's out of the box state or in it's quietest state. Then just because it's quiet doesn't mean it's worth a hoot. Seems to me performance and reduced noise are a trade off, can't have both.

Unless you've got alot of money to buy four or five different exhausts and test them out, your stuck with whatever you buy.

Don't you wish you could borrow/test drive an exhaust for a weekend before buying one. There's a concept, renting exhausts. 🙂

It's amazing how much these results vary though. For example stock goes from 85 to 100. I reckon the more noise the more it's been altered.

I'm thinking the low ends are the bone-stock and the high ends are with the baffle removed. Too bad there's not more info...

Seems to me performance and reduced noise are a trade off, can't have both.

I think this is just a fallacy. Take your exhaust completely off and I'll bet you'll still have less power than with the stock. I think a company could make a better performing exhaust (even if it just weighs less) and make it quiet. It just costs more and people wouldn't buy it because we're used to "loud=power". Yoshimura made a quiet pipe for roadbikes a while back that was a pretty good performer, but this exact thing happeded. No one bought it because it wasn't like the others = louder.

I'll get off the box now... 🙂

A lot of good comments:

One thing to remember though is these figures should be taken with a grain of salt.

I’m very skeptic of government test figures. I would use these figures as a “guide only” and not make final decisions based on them only.

As in, were the tests all ran by the same test equipment, same time, same surroundings and by the same person. I don’t think so. No one with a Maico hangs around with XR guys. LOL….J/K.

Other things have an effect on sound such as engine size, pipe layout/configuration, size, outlet direction VS the sound meter, engine rattles and surrounding effects (trees, bushes, concrete, etc).

Also remember that the stock setup may mean plugged up (non Gordonized).

I also think when the demand is there, the industry (after market exhaust systems) will come up with what we want. The numbers are not there yet.

Is there a happy ground? I sure hope so.

If you want this info from the horses mouth, then here's the link to the Motorcycle Industry Council who publishes the sound test manual that you can get a copy of for free.

"For a copy of the Stationary Sound Test Manual for Off-Highway Motorcycles and All-Terrain Vehicles (includes Test RPM data back to 1985), contact Pamela Amette at 949-727-4211, ext 3047 or or by email, pamette@mic.org."

Here's a link to the MIC...

http://www.mic.org/

MOTORCYCLE INDUSTRY COUNCIL, INC.

EXECUTIVE OFFICE

2 Jenner Street, Stuite 150

Irvine, CA. 92618-3806

(949) 727-4211 (voice)

(949) 727-3313 (fax)

GOVERNMENT RELATIONS OFFICE

1235 Jefferson Davis Highway, Suite 600

Arlington, VA. 22202-3261

(703) 416-0444 (voice)