2009 choke

I recently got a 2008 that has the 2009 EFI engine in it. Love the throttle response and ride of the bike. My question is about the choke. I'm not sure the choke knob is actually coming out like it is suppossed to. It just barely comes out at all and the bike doesn't seem to respond if I choke it or not. When I start it cold, it takes 3-4 kicks and dies 2-3 times before it stays running, regardless if I choke it or not.

How much should the choke lever come out? I'd guess I'm moving it maybe 1/8 inch out.

Sounds about right, mine does the same thing. It doesn't come out very far. Same for me on the number of kicks. If you have the idle set right though, after it is running for a few seconds, the revs should get pretty high if the choke is pulled and then drop to the proper level once you push it back in. Other than that, you sound ok. remember, with that ignition system, depending on how full of a kick you give it, might take a couple kicks just to properly charge the system. BTW, I love my 09 too!