XR400 clutch – is this one OEM or not?

Hi all.

My new to me ’04 XR400 has a bad clutch. It will drag a little bit, and slip in fifth under load. The clutch action however is smooth, no jerking or chatter. The bike has been abused some, but has few km, less than 5K.

Everything measures within specs. The “clutch disks” (friction disks) are at 2.8mm. The “clutch plates” (steel disks) are not warped. The springs are within specs (42,4mm).

The clutch however does not look OEM to me. The “clutch plates” (steel disks) are black and not silver, and look new (see pic). The “clutch disks” (friction disks) seems to be from two batches, they have numbers on them, some have “KA3 A3” and some have “KA3 A4” (see pic).

The clutch hub has a rough (and not shiny/worn/polished) surface toward the “clutch disks” (friction disk). See pic.

Since the Chinese and others are selling parts these days, can you guys tell me:

Question 1, do the clutch plates (friction and steel) look OEM Honda? If not who is the manufacturer?

Question 2, does the clutch hub with its rough (and not shiny/worn/polished) surface look OEM Honda?

Question 3, does the pressure plate (that looks pretty normal) look OEM Honda?

xr400_clutch_001.jpg

xr400_clutch_002.jpg

xr400_clutch_003.jpg

xr400_clutch_004.jpg

xr400_clutch_005.jpg

I've never tried or looked to be sure but I think you can look either on the Parts Unlimited website or maybe the fische on Bikebandit and compare part #'s. Thought I saw a "KCY" on one of those pics which I believe is a Honda part # prefix. I'm no expert so I'd say get a couple more opinions.

Also, make sure whatever oil you use does NOT contain "Moly". That stuff will cause clutch slippage cause it is too slippery and not designed fpoor a motor thats oil lubricayes the both top end and trans/clutch.

Edited by michigan400
added info

those are oem.

'kcy' is the xr parts prefix, you can see the stamp on the bottom of the pressure plate,

also +1 on the post above, make sure you have the correct oil in the bike.

there is lots of info on it here. by the sound of it, the old owner might have run oil in the bike that contained 'wear additives', that stuff will cause slow but steady clutch failure.

flush the engine one time after reassembly with the correct oil, ie put new plates in fill with correct oil,allow the bike to warm up but dont ride it yet. then change the oil and filter one more time and you should be good to go..:banana:

Thanks guys.

Yes, the clutch probably is stock, even if the steel plates are black. A guy at “advrider” suggested that the steel plates might have gotten hot because of clutch slipping. That could explain the color, used engine oil will turn hot steel items black.

Anyhow, I did assemble the clutch and take the bike for a ride. The clutch worked flawlessly. No drag, the bike did not creep and neutral was easy to find. The clutch did not slip in fifth anymore. I don’t understand it. Maybe the clutch was not assembled correctly before, I might have missed something when I took it apart. This was only a short ride, I guess time will tell if the clutch is now OK.

The "KCY" and "KA3" are Honda product codes associated with the model that the parts were first used on.

Honda likes to reuse parts on as many models as possible; KA3 is early CR125 and KCY is XR400.

Also, make sure whatever oil you use does NOT contain "Moly". That stuff will cause clutch slippage cause it is too slippery and not designed fpoor a motor thats oil lubricayes the both top end and trans/clutch.

The friction in a wet clutche is very dependent on the oil used. The problem is newer automotive oils have substituted anti wear additives for anti friction additives to help protect catalytic converters, the former protect high pressure wear on cams and flat tappet followers, the later cause wet clutch slippage. The only safe oil for a wet clutch is oil with a JASA MA rating, yet I used a JA rated synthetic and had clutch slippage.

The "KCY" and "KA3" are Honda product codes associated with the model that the parts were first used on.

Honda likes to reuse parts on as many models as possible; KA3 is early CR125 and KCY is XR400.

OK thanks. Most interesting, I have never heard this before.